Hi I accidentally got my self isa brown yikes ):

They don't just drop dead at exactly two years of age. They can live much longer, and while they are prone to egg binding and other egg issues, they are not DEFINITELY going to get or die of these. Some people successfully have ISAs that are over 10 years. I have three- they are non aggressive birds that are DEFINITELY not cannibalistic. If you want to try to prolong their lifespans, don't make them lay through the winter with supplemental light. Otherwise, just take care about them.

Hi, I am curious as to where you got your information. The cannibalism and aggression sound like issues that might develop in situations where birds are kept in very crowded conditions and perhaps don't have access to sufficient feeding and watering stations, or as another respondent put it, "deplorable conditions." Most any breed of chicken would resort to those behaviors under those conditions. Care for your birds and enjoy them. I don't think you need fear them.

Hi, I am curious as to where you got your information. The cannibalism and aggression sound like issues that might develop in situations where birds are kept in very crowded conditions and perhaps don't have access to sufficient feeding and watering stations, or as another respondent put it, "deplorable conditions." Most any breed of chicken would resort to those behaviors under those conditions. Care for your birds and enjoy them. I don't think you need fear them.
This!!!

I’ve never heard any of this. I have had many ISA browns and all lived well over two. Two lived about seven years, and laid that whole time though they did slow down significantly. As others have said, the cannibalism sounds more like a situational thing than a breed thing. All of mine have been very gentle with people and other breeds of all sorts. Definitely the tamest of the production breeds I’ve had :)

Hi a month ago I went to get more chicks from tractor co supply even tho I bought chicks before I still wanted more so I did not know most breeds I saw they isa brown I thought they were normal chickens BUT after doing research I found out that they only LIVE 2 years): they can get prolapse and other system also heard they are super nasty to other breeds and has a higher risk to cannibalism than most I also heard they die from feather moth When they do hard and I don’t know what to do. Do you have any recommendations to help them live a longer life.
I have several 3 year old ISAs that still lay. They live approximately 3 to 5 years but can make it to 8 with proper care. They are a hybrid cross of RIR rooster and a white hen such as a leghorn. It’s because they are bred to lay copious amounts off eggs that they can have lots of problems, but with mine so far so good. They are actually wonderful chickens - very docile and friendly.

ISA browns are fine. Most of mine made it to 3-4 before I processed them for food because they were unwell with minor ailments semi regularly, poor feather conditioning, and not laying well. But they could have lived longer.

It's true they are more prone to certain specific reproductive issues at moderate ages. But that can vary a lot per bird. Remember, a chicken that's twice as likely to get something may still not have a high chance of getting it. Double the chance to catch something that you get 0.2% of the time is still only 0.4%.

Back
Top Bottom