Daybreak19

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2019
Fort Worth, Texas
Hi to all!

I am new to join and looking forward to reading everything to learn more about raising chickens.

I am from Rowlett/Rockwall, Texas but temporarily living in the Querataro state of Mexico since March. I am living in a mountain community in the Varequeries. I love it here, but need to come back and get back to work. I have had a landscape business for 30 years. After being here and living where all livestock...ALL roam free throughout this community, I became interested in the simple life of homesteading. I watch a lot of You tube channels of Homesteaders. I have learned a lot.

Here where I live there is one Rooster and 4 hens. They free range here within the property boundaries and sleep in the Bougenvilla tree branches that grow over the covered patio. I know that one of their hens is a black naked neck. The rooster and two hens I do not know, except she said they were fighting chickens and the other hen looks like a rock...... she is sitting on two eggs hiding on the property. One of the hens hatched one chick. But they gather the eggs and always leave one where it has been laid. They do not want more chickens because they tear up and planting areas.

7 weeks ago, I found 2 chicks a few days or a week old and brought them here. The dog grabbed one of them so I have one left, which after that trauma this chick is scared of everything and sleeps in a crate in my room at night. I have watched all types of You Tube trying to learn about chickens because when I go back to the states I want to raise chickens.

For now I am still searching the internet trying to find out what breed it is. I am pretty sure it is a rooster. I will not be able to take it back across the border. So I am trying to figure out how to stop him from coming in my room all day pooping and sleeping. He seems attached to me and I will not be here. I do not know how to adjust him to being part of the existing flock as they roam everywhere. Only one hen stays with the rooster all of the time. The other hens roam alone. And if he is a rooster, I do not know if their rooster will kill it??

I have attached pictures of the two chicks I found and then the one that was left. The rooster and the hen that roam together. Hen with new chick and the hen that is laying on 2 legs. If anyone knows the breeds, please let me know!

Thanks so much!
Dawn Hall

Attachments

• twochicks.jpg
    twochicks.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 21
  • mychick.jpg
    mychick.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 6
  • broodinghen.jpg
    broodinghen.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 7
  • rooster1.jpg
    rooster1.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 6
  • henandchick.jpg
    henandchick.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 6
  • roosterhen.jpg
    roosterhen.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 7
  • chickyrelaxing.jpg
    chickyrelaxing.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to BYC.
:yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

I don't know what breed your baby is, sorry.
I am very interested in how you ended up there in Mexico though if you want to share.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops.

What exactly did you Google to get here? <<<<<<<<<<<

BYC has an APP!

Welcome to Backyard Chickens, looks like you have birds that are either game birds or have them in their background. If so they probably have a chance against any of the others.

It would be best if you post your photos at "What breed or gender is this?" the folks there will do their best to ID them for you.

Back
Top Bottom