Hi! New from Maryland!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by krowl, Apr 7, 2017.

1. krowl

krowl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2017
    Hi Everyone-I am new to this forum! I don't have any chickens yet, but wanted to get online and start researching and such before jumping into having backyard chickens! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

2. shaggy151

shaggy151 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2017
    Hooks, TX
    My Coop
    Hello there,... Just fair warning... You'll be hooked once you get your chicks and will be planning on expanding soon after.

Shaggy

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    1 person likes this.
  5. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    [​IMG][​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! We are glad you joined our flock! [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under krowl [​IMG] and Belated Welcome!

While I am ahead of the States time-wise, I am definitely behind in my greets [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    Hi Krawl, I am also from Maryland what part are you in? Maryland has some crazy rules when it comes to chickens. In Maryland you must register your chickens. So researching your area is important to know if you can have any chickens. How much ground you must have in order to have them as well as how many you can have, and if you can have Roosters or not. Parts of Maryland you need 1 acre in order to have chickens as in Baltimore County. But in like Baltimore City you can have up to 4 hens do not need a acre of ground. While people are asking the county government offices to relax and loosen similar rules not all counties have won here just yet. So the fight continues.

Baltimore County code says "A person may not house or maintain within a residential area less than 1 acre in size: Fowl, including chickens, ducks, and geese"

In Baltimore City, the code allows up to four chickens (no roosters) to be kept as long as they are confined to a movable pen that is kept 25 feet away from any residence.

Baltimore City code favors backyard chickens, and has very specific requirements for owners to follow. So there are some crazy rules we all have to follow.

I hope this gives you a little back ground in having Chickens in Maryland.

10. krowl

krowl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2017
    Thanks for the information!!

I am actually in Carroll County. From what I have gathered so far, I think they are a bit strict on flock size, which works for me because I was hoping to start out small. I have about an acre of land. I still need to continue my research :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by