Hi new small flock owner

Jun 8, 2020
Rio Linda, California
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Yes started with my first 6 on April 6th 2020. My hubby and I have wanted to do this for awhile now.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(3) What breeds do you have?
3 Americaunas, 3 RI, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 1 Blue Cochin Brahma all pullets and one accidental Roo
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Fresh organic Eggs for my family. And Family raising healthy happy Chickens. The layers will always be a part of our large family as pets.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Family Camp trips. Water tubing, and skiing.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Large family 7 children 6 daughters 1 son, 14 grandchildren. 😎😊, have 1 chocolate lab and 1 dachshund. Medical health information management working for our Emergency Room. I hope to Do this right with your help. Share stories, grow a sustainable lifestyle.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D. Research for my new baby chicks. After extensive googling For the last 2 months. I found BYC To be the most reliable, consistent information, open for discussion, friendly and professional Group. The advice have practiced and found to be easy to understand and great people.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Are you keeping the accidental cockerel? I'm such a sucker for those pretty boys I have a hard time letting mine go when they hatch here.
Yes, keeping Him. He was one of our favorites and my grandkids too. Soo sweet and friendly. Part of why he was named Happy Feet. Now that his testosterone kicking in (9 weeks), he’s started juvenile crowing and more stand offish. But will still fly onto my lap for snacks. He never has backed down to our Alpha hen though. Who because of her assertiveness we thought she was a potential roo. She’s bigger and she crowed with Happy a couple of times. But Happy is crowing every day with his juvenile voice and has new saddle feathers growing. Alphie still bigger but no longer crows. And is beginning to back down to Happy. No saddle feathers on her at all?? Keeping fingers crossed. I love my babies

Yes, keeping Him. He was one of our favorites and my grandkids too. Soo sweet and friendly. Part of why he was named Happy Feet. Now that his testosterone kicking in (9 weeks), he’s started juvenile crowing and more stand offish. But will still fly onto my lap for snacks. He never has backed down to our Alpha hen though. Who because of her assertiveness we thought she was a potential roo. She’s bigger and she crowed with Happy a couple of times. But Happy is crowing every day with his juvenile voice and has new saddle feathers growing. Alphie still bigger but no longer crows. And is beginning to back down to Happy. No saddle feathers on her at all?? Keeping fingers crossed. I love my babies
All chickens grow saddle feathers. The cockerels grow long and pointed. The pullets grow shorter and rounded.
The hormones don't really start kicking in until 15 weeks. That's when things can go sideways and your sweet boy can start to peck you HARD and otherwise try to claim the flock. Just be aware that his behavior could change drastically. But hopefully not.

Back
Top Bottom