Hi. New to doves with one about to hatch

appps

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Australia
Hi. I'm babysitting a pair of fantail doves and it looks like they are going to hatch one of their eggs.

Didn't expect it as their tails aren't trimmed for breeding and their owner hasn't had any stay with an egg long enough to hatch it in the three years she has had them. She recently got a new boy though and he actually remembers to sit on the eggs when she gets off.
I have two eggs in there, one is white and the other has changed to a creamier colour which I was told they do as they develop.

Anything I need to know for hatching? Apparently these show birds are not known for their parenting skills either and their eggs and babies are often fostered with regular doves. So what do I watch for as signs they aren't parenting properly? Should one stay on the nest like with the eggs? Or do they both get off to find food ?

As think they're doing fine as they're both sharing incubation... They should take care of their baby/ies well... I'm sure the parents know what they're doing! Just keep us updated if anything weird happens!
Good luck mate! And we're waiting for pics!

Hi. I'm babysitting a pair of fantail doves and it looks like they are going to hatch one of their eggs.

Didn't expect it as their tails aren't trimmed for breeding and their owner hasn't had any stay with an egg long enough to hatch it in the three years she has had them. She recently got a new boy though and he actually remembers to sit on the eggs when she gets off.
I have two eggs in there, one is white and the other has changed to a creamier colour which I was told they do as they develop.

Anything I need to know for hatching? Apparently these show birds are not known for their parenting skills either and their eggs and babies are often fostered with regular doves. So what do I watch for as signs they aren't parenting properly? Should one stay on the nest like with the eggs? Or do they both get off to find food ?
I have not owned fantails for many years, but when I had them they were good parents. They should continue to brood the squabs for several days as they did the eggs. Then as the squabs grow the parents will stop brooding. No special food is needed. Healthy squabs grow fast; watch their crops. The crops of squabs should be full of food if the parents are doing a good job of parenting.

Thanks! That's a good point that they got this far so hopefully they will keep going. I'm used to seeing them last about a week, get off for a couple of days, then remember the eggs and go back to them, so this staying put and sharing duties was a bit of a surprise :)

Mum and dad are quite pretty so will be interesting to see the baby. This is dad. They are in my bunny run as their temporary quarters and she is nesting in a cat carrier.

Last edited:
Thanks! That's a good point that they got this far so hopefully they will keep going. I'm used to seeing them last about a week, get off for a couple of days, then remember the eggs and go back to them, so this staying put and sharing duties was a bit of a surprise :)

Mum and dad are quite pretty so will be interesting to see the baby. This is dad
Fantails have always been one of my favorites, but I do prefer the Indian fantail. Whenever possible I allowed my pigeons to pick their own mate as I soon discovered that forced pairings often did not produce well. Quite likely the new male was more to the hen's liking or vise-versa and that's why the sudden success in nesting.

We have a baby! I was actually about to candle then throw the eggs because I thought it should of hatched a few days ago at the latest. Felt under her in the dark and felt cracked egg shell instead. It's in an awkward spot where I can't see and reach so carefully lifted her a bit and my daughter looked with the torch. Her words were "omg there's a baby and it's ugly as sheet" lol

I was taking them back to their owner in a days time which is a half hour drive. Being that they are both first time parents wondering if I should delay that and for how long?

We have a baby! I was actually about to candle then throw the eggs because I thought it should of hatched a few days ago at the latest. Felt under her in the dark and felt cracked egg shell instead. It's in an awkward spot where I can't see and reach so carefully lifted her a bit and my daughter looked with the torch. Her words were "omg there's a baby and it's ugly as sheet" lol

I was taking them back to their owner in a days time which is a half hour drive. Being that they are both first time parents wondering if I should delay that and for how long?
To be safe I'd delay as long as possible. Often cage and all can be moved without a problem, but there is no guarantee. If cage and all can not be moved then even more reason to wait.

Last edited:
Another question. Should it have a full crop? I've been looking at photos online and they all seem to have this big full crop which this little guy doesn't have. Is it too early for that or do you think they are like many of their flock mates and not switched on to the whole feeding bit? Haven't seen mum feed it at all, she just seems to be sitting on it like it's an egg.

It's kinda cute in an ugly sort of way lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom