Hi, still new with a different problem, exploding egg! UPDATE!!!!!

mountaingirl

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 24, 2007
Will everything was fine, then my daughter went out to the coop this orning and came back reporting a smell that would kill the dead. Sure enough, an egg exploded. How do we clean this up without harming the other eggs?
Help! This wasn't covered in the books!
mountaingirl
Mary

Last edited:
Oh, dear!
sad.png
I've never had this happen so I'm only guessing what you might do...
How far along are the eggs? How covered with ick are they? If they are really yucky, you may want to just start with a fresh batch. Did the hen get covered with goo as well? If so, she will have to be cleaned also.
I can't think of any way to actually clean the eggs, since the stuff is so bacteria-laden. I suppose if you have some eggs that are clean, you could move them and the hen to a nice fresh nest, and hope for the best.
Good luck - I hope someone who knows more than I do posts soon!

Hi,
Hope I'm not making a pest of myself, but we are still having problems here. The chicken is fine. She's my daughters pet Silkie, named Crystal. We brought Crystal from NC last weekend and put her in a homemade enclosure that just had a tarp for a roof. She had a clutch of eggs, so we brought them too. While she was sitting on the eggs, one exploded and made a very stinky mess on Crystal and the other eggs. We candled the eggs and got rid of two more that seemed to be infertile. THEN, last night it rained and Crystal's roof leaked and there was somehow standing water in her nest. We got her and the eggs out into a dog crate in the bathroom while we figure out what to do. Upon candling the eggs, we still see movement in them. Are these babies going to be all right?? I have read that high humidity can cause damage to the unhatched chicks upon hatching. What should we do?

Please, advice sorely needed!
mountaingirl
Mary

Ooh! Those eggs have been through a lot (as have you, poor things!).
High humidity can indeed be harmful; normally this is much more of a worry with artificial incubation as opposed to natural. However, since the eggs were actually with a hen, she may very well have been holding them up out of the water, under her wings and on top of her legs. You'd be amazed how many eggs a chicken can tuck under her wings.
If you are still seeing movement upon candling, I'd say keep on going. You might end up with some little peepers and a great story to tell about them. I'd keep Crystal someplace quiet and dry until the deed is done. She has been through a great deal with this clutch and could use some extra spoiling. What a little trooper! Do you have a picture of her?

She has beenn a very good mama, never once leaving her eggs, even though her nest has been moved a total of 4 times in a week. I am concerned about the babies. What with the contamination of the exploded egg, then sitting in 1/2 inch of rainwater under mama during the storm. There is still movement in them, so we are not giving up. She is in a children's plastic wading pool with pine shavings, food and water in the garage. This is bad because some men are coming to mud and paint the inside of the garage on Wednesday! My husband will not even think of putting the project off for a few weeks, so she will have to be moved again. He did say I could have anything I want (within reason) built in the back yard for her. Anyone want to come over and help me build a coop??

mountaingirl
Mary

Aww, I surely would love to help your poor girlie out. She sounds like a wonderful girl, rolling with the punches like that. I wish you the very best of luck with her and the babies.
hugs.gif

Aww what a trying time your having and i thought i was having it bad!!!

Keep us posted I do hope this thread has a happy ending!!!

How old do you think they are??

Quote:
Ooh! If your husband is anything like mine, you'd better get his toolbelt on him before he forgets his promise!
bun.gif

Have you checked out some of the fabulous coops on this site?

Back
Top Bottom