Hi ! What do you use to keep coop and run not smell

Jayfengling

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2021
can I use Pelletized Limestone from Home Depot , is it safe for chicken ?

Attachments

• F8F8EA2B-4A98-468A-8980-AD6B997118F8.png
    F8F8EA2B-4A98-468A-8980-AD6B997118F8.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
That's lime. It's a caustic substance much different from limestone. Lime will burn chicken feet if it gets damp. The pellets would prove dangerous if chickens decided to try to eat them, burning their innards.

Limestone, on the other hand, is rock. It is water soluble, meaning chickens can eat it, and it will dissolve harmlessly in their intestines, providing a good source of calcium.

The best way to keep a run and coop odor free is to keep the poop collected or use a self composting bedding. (Deep litter method)

can I use Pelletized Limestone from Home Depot , is it safe for chicken ?
I wouldn't use that.... If you would like to keep the smell down in the henhoue, I recommend Manna Pro Coop n Compost. I have used it for months, and it works really well! Just make sure to follow the instructions, and it will keep the smell down :)
As for keeping the run smell free, you might want to either clean it more frequently, or change the run's floor to something like small gravel. It should help.
I hope this helps!! :)
Have a great day!

In my small coop, I use Sweet PDZ in which droppings can be scooped out daily with a kitty litter shovel. It is rather expensive to start, but it lasts a long time, just needing to be added as needed. Sand would work much the same. I am also not a fan of deep litter. I find doing a cleanout occasionally in my big coop with pine shavings, and adding new bedding often is more effective.

If you clean it once every week, it won’t smell. Since Vinegar is a natural way of cleaning stuff, I’d use that for spraying and cleaning out the coop.

Define smell. If it's an ammonia smell, solve the problem of poor ventilation instead of covering it up. If it just smells like a barn, take a deep breath and smile. Do your best to keep the area dry and ventilated and there won't be much of a smell.

You're all making it too difficult. Keep piling more straw or whatever you are using and sprinkle a few handfuls of scratch grain in there in the morning. The hens will scratch it up. aerating it, eliminating the odor. The odor is from anaerobic bacteria forming due to the lack of oxygen.

Using lime or lime stone won’t help to much with the smell, mostly just help absorb moisture. And some lime isn’t safe to use were animals are currently living as it can be caustic.

top ways to keep a coops smelling clean are to:

Clean in on a regular bases (how often depends on how many birds are living in the coop/run and how much time they spend in the coop/run)

Use deep litter method, where you cover the soiled bedding with a thick layer of clean

Use a coop deodorizer. This is usually used with one of the other methods of coop/run management.

Back
Top Bottom