Hi,What NOT To Feed Poultry

gig.gif
AAAAAHHHHHH lightbulb moment.... I get it!!!!

I'm in the planning stages now, preparing to raise my first chickens next season. A friend of mine treats his flock with bite-sized mini corndogs. They seem to love them. Is this good or bad? It seems the meat to grain ratio might be a bit too high. Still, they seem to be doing okay.

Quote:
And honestly, they shouldn't. They don't need it with a good ration. You can do more harm than good by muddying up their balanced nutrition in the feed you DO give them.

Wait till they are out and about before giving them so-called treats. Besides, they won't respect you any more because you've given them "goodies"... the ingrates.

Last edited:
Quote:
And honestly, they shouldn't. They don't need it with a good ration. You can do more harm than good by muddying up their balanced nutrition in the feed you DO give them.

Wait till they are out and about before giving them so-called treats. Besides, they won't respect you any more because you've given them "treats"... the ingrates.

but why not citrus? I've seen it posted but with no explaination

Quote:

Wait till they are out and about before giving them so-called treats. Besides, they won't respect you any more because you've given them "treats"... the ingrates.

I know, huh? Good question. I cant find anything, either.
This is from MyPet Chicken: "Citrus fruits and peels (they can cause a drop in egg production)." It doesnt say they're toxic, though.

Last edited:
Quote:
And there's more: "Raw, or dry beans, contain a poison called hemaglutin which is toxic to birds."

I didnt know that little tidbit. My question now is: "Why does anyone actually know that?"
And I thought I was a poultry crank!
smile.png

Quote:

I know, huh? Good question. I cant find anything, either.
This is from MyPet Chicken: "Citrus fruits and peels (they can cause a drop in egg production)." It doesnt say they're toxic, though.

thanks for the info Dave! I was beginning to question your standing with over 2800 posts!! LOL you cracked me up tho.

Back
Top Bottom