what seasonings/extras to add to feed to make it more nutritious?

I currently wonder about mushrooms and chickens. i grow Lions Mane, Red and Black Anter reishi and turkey tail. I'm less curious about the actual mushroom body as I am the mycelium as well as the tea and tinctures that i make for myself. I often wonder if these are things that may benefit the chickens.
mine eat some of the mushrooms that grow in the lawn and garden, but I have not yet securely identified which ones. They don't eat, or don't eat a lot of, King Alfred's cakes, jelly ears, a large polypore that grows on live oak, or a white club fungus that grows on dead wood. I couldn't say for the mycelium because it's practically impossible to observe them eating that, if they do.

I currently wonder about mushrooms and chickens. i grow Lions Mane, Red and Black Anter reishi and turkey tail. I'm less curious about the actual mushroom body as I am the mycelium as well as the tea and tinctures that i make for myself. I often wonder if these are things that may benefit the chickens.
I have been wondering the same thing. So I've been boiling up all of the less than perfect specimens that don't end up in my tea or tincture, and soaking their food with it. It's been a week or two, strong tea with g. Applanatum, fomes fomentarius and tramettes versicolor. More hens have started laying and they all look great. It was -20c a few weeks ago.

@My Very First 6 Chickens and @Nigel27
you might find this interesting
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00132xm
There are 3 half hour episodes. Some of the species you're mentioning get mentioned.

The blurb is
It all started with rumours of an 800-meter underground organism hidden under the streets of Cambridge and a plate of mushrooms on toast. With cream. In this three-part series, Tim Hayward falls down a rabbit hole into kingdom (or as some call it queendom) Fungi. Along the way he starts to question pretty much everything he thought he knew about the world, discovering scientists doing pioneering research that’s changing how we understand life on Earth and offering solutions to some of our biggest challenges.

@My Very First 6 Chickens and @Nigel27
you might find this interesting
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00132xm
There are 3 half hour episodes. Some of the species you're mentioning get mentioned.

The blurb is
It all started with rumours of an 800-meter underground organism hidden under the streets of Cambridge and a plate of mushrooms on toast. With cream. In this three-part series, Tim Hayward falls down a rabbit hole into kingdom (or as some call it queendom) Fungi. Along the way he starts to question pretty much everything he thought he knew about the world, discovering scientists doing pioneering research that’s changing how we understand life on Earth and offering solutions to some of our biggest challenges.
It was great, I really enjoy hearing this stuff!

hello my feathered friends! currently i am trying to figure out if there is any way to make my current chicken feed more nutritious, i feel like i’m not doing enough for my girlypops…

here is a pic of the current feed i am giving them! i usually buy from tractor supply from the next town over but there is a pet feed store in town so i can also check out my options. if there is any feed that you guys consider to be better even just as a base then i’m listening. my father would rather prefer our feed we give them be non-soy and organic and even gluten free! blah blah blah but that gets so specific that there’s not a lot of options! at this point i just want something that’s good for them and just gives them a well rounded diet as they are here to supply us with eggs. they are not meat birds.

they also free range our entire backyard so they get to eat all the bugs, weeds, leaves, so they aren’t stuck only eating the feed if that helps! i am starting to save their eggshells to dry and grind up and redistribute back into their feed for starters. i saw this video on instagram about this girl adding a bunch of extras into her feed, red pepper flakes, nyjer seeds, italian seasonings, etc and saying the “benefits” for each of the add-ins and now i'm wondering if i could be doing more as well.

one last thing! is there any way to make the yolks darker? i loooove an orangey yolk :)

thank you and bless all of you!
View attachment 3373191
My birds get a few table scraps, cabbage stems, meat (yes that includes fried chicken. My mom feeds the birds like a compost or a garbage disposal, but I’m hoping I can convince her to at least stop giving them their own kind. *sigh*)

You may also want to feed plain unseasoned crickets and mealworms, those are delicious and good for a flock that doesn’t free range, or a special treat for a flock that already catches their own bugs.

And yes, I buy food grade crickets, so I can have some too!

Blueberry is good, but I recommend only 5 each, if they are large. They can give a bird diarrhea if you feed too many.
I just noticed that. These blueberries are very plump! They don't get just the blueberries, though. I mix in their layer grain feed with several other leafy greens and additional nutrients. I did cut back to six each, but five sounds reasonable. Plus, I wouldn't mind actually enjoying a few blueberries myself! Thank you.

After a few years I’ve settled on this:

Kalmbach Henhouse Reserve layer feed, stretched with Nutrena Country Feeds layer pellets.

I add:
- Red pepper flakes
- Basil
- Oregano
- Thyme
- Crushed egg shells
- Grit
- Soldier fly larvae
- Cinnamon (sometimes)
- Sage (sometimes)

I put it all mixed up in a flat planter drain dish, and call it a chicken pizza. Here it is.

IMG_6768.jpeg

IMG_6737.jpeg

IMG_6735.jpeg

This is just my routine. Do some research, figure out what they like best. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom