Hi,What NOT To Feed Poultry

Tailfeathers

Songster
12 Years
Dec 31, 2007
Washington State
Hi Y'all,

I'm about to go out and throw my birds a bunch of "throw away" stuff I brought home from church with me today. One of the breads has sesame seeds on it and I wanted to check if that might be harmful. I found that it is not.

However, in searching on BYC, I did not find any threads that specifically talked about what you should NOT feed chickens and/or ducks.

If someone has a list of known, PROVEN (i.e. not old wive's tales), harmful items to chickens, I think it would be a great thread to leave with a sticky at the top of this Forum.

God Bless,

You can feed potato skins/peels and they are nutritious if there are no green sprouts or green areas on the skins and they are cooked. You can throw peels in a bowl with a bit of water and microwave for 5 min or you can give them baked potato skins.

It's the sprouts and any green areas that are harmful - to people as well as chickens. Even raw peels are ok if there are no green areas or sprouts but chickens don't like them much and it would be better to cook them.

Thank you and bless you for taking the time and effort to do that. I am saving that thread to my Favorites. I sure hope it doesn't disappear as I have no doubt I'll have to go back to it from time to time.

Edited to ask: What qualifies as "citrus"? Apples? How about Pears? My birds love pears.

Also, while I do appreciate that list, where did it come from? I would really like to see BYC post something like that and reference the source such as a University Study or such.

God Bless,

Last edited:
Citrus= lime,lemon,orange,grapefruit,tangerine,tanegllo these are the most common citrus.

Fruit= pears, apples,cherries, kiwis, grapes, strawberries,banans, plums, peaches, blueberries ect.

All that being said, I have fed chickens whatever I eat with no ill effect. I only follow Glenda's short list - I probably got it from her 'long time ago, I dunno.

So, again, if you like it, it aint likely to kill a chicken.

Last edited:
Quote:
But then that's not "dry," is it?

You converted them to usable form, by sprouting. Chickens don't chew, but rather swallow things like small beans whole. Imagine what an unsprouted, dry bean would do inside a moist, warm chicken.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom