Hiccups, then seizure/Heart attack

Spruceroost

Chirping
Apr 26, 2017
I had a rough evening. I brought in my Brahma hen last night after she kept hiccuping for several days for observation. This evening I decided to try and give her some Tylan 50. While holding her down, she hiccuped, then freaked out, her head went limp and she started flaring around like crazy. Now she's dead. Can anyone shed some light on this?

It could have been gapeworm. Did your hen ever hold her mouth open? The "hiccuping" sound and shaking her head fit the bill for gapeworm.
Unfortunately, gapeworm is a slow killer, it essentially suffocates your bird. It is a very resilient worm and strong treatment is necessary unless caught early.

Don't take my guess as gospel, though. I don't know for sure what happened to your hen, as chickens can die spontaneously for any number of reasons. This is just my 2 cents.

It could have been gapeworm. Did your hen ever hold her mouth open? The "hiccuping" sound and shaking her head fit the bill for gapeworm.
Unfortunately, gapeworm is a slow killer, it essentially suffocates your bird. It is a very resilient worm and strong treatment is necessary unless caught early.

Don't take my guess as gospel, though. I don't know for sure what happened to your hen, as chickens can die spontaneously for any number of reasons. This is just my 2 cents.
She kept it open a little like she had trouble breathing. She was about 6 months old but really big. The head jerking only happened right before shed died though.

I wish I had more answers for you.
I'm sorry for your loss though :hugs It always sucks to lose a bird, especially when you can't be certain about what happened.

I was told by a Europan Brahma breeder that Brahma prone to heart attack, the bigger they get, the likelier they will get heart attack.

And I had same case where I lost my handsome boy.... Took her to vet and nothing was wrong, his lung was good, no fluid, yet he died right when we got home.

I was told by a Europan Brahma breeder that Brahma prone to heart attack, the bigger they get, the likelier they will get heart attack.

And I had same case where I lost my handsome boy.... Took her to vet and nothing was wrong, his lung was good, no fluid, yet he died right when we got home.
That's horrible. I'm sorry to hear that.

hahahaha.... just realized I made a mistake by calling my boy "her".... Must be really panicked about my blue Pekin hen.

Unfortunately she is better now.... laid another egg, yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom