Hidden nest

Daniek

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 10, 2014
I have not been getting as many eggs lately that I thought I should be. Started looking around in a lot of places but did not find anything. Today I spotted a white egg (Lakenvelder) and lo and behold, I found a secret hidden nest, It had 3 brown eggs (sexlink) and 4 white ones. I figure the oldest is probably a week old. I just wonder if they are safe to eat. Guess I will be doing a float test on them.

I found three in my yard one day and wasn't sure how long they had been there. I knew it couldn't have been long maybe a few days at most as i travel that area of the yard quite frequently. At the time I was a brand new chicken owner and all I knew is it wasnt from my chickens so I discarded them. I now know I have frequent visitor chickens from my neighbors house and If i had known then what I know now I would have cracked them and if all looked ok I would have eaten them. I know they stay good for long periods of time indoors without being refrigerated I guess outdoors could depend on the temp. but i'm not for sure.

I have not been getting as many eggs lately that I thought I should be. Started looking around in a lot of places but did not find anything. Today I spotted a white egg (Lakenvelder) and lo and behold, I found a secret hidden nest, It had 3 brown eggs (sexlink) and 4 white ones. I figure the oldest is probably a week old. I just wonder if they are safe to eat. Guess I will be doing a float test on them.
stop free ranging fora bit.Ithelps

Back
Top Bottom