Hiding eggs

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
Well, I fell for an old trick. I was annoyed to discover that my hens for some reason had dropped from 4 or 5 eggs a day to only 2 most days. I was racking my brain for any changes in their diet or something.

This weekend one of my cochins dropped an egg in the straw of the run and I had to go in to fetch it. While I was in there, I happen to see into the corner of the coop where I can 't usually see, and found a HUGE pile of eggs of all colors and sizes. Apparently, the cochins randomly laid an egg there and the other girls figured this was the new "hot" nesting spot, so most of them start laying there.
roll.png

I did the float test and found that most of them were within about a week old, so luckily I can still use them.

Can't believe I fell for that old trick!

Ha ha the same thing happened to me a few months ago...!! I was all worried... ran to the forum to find out reasons why!

Then I did a thorough cleaning and moved some things around. I found about 50 eggs!!

Yeah... they can change their habits and start laying in strange places. Not that its quite the same, but my neighbor's son was chancing one of our hens that wondered into their yard (they don't mine, they think they're cute!) and the chicken just went and laid an egg in full run for the coop! I just watched it bounce onto the ground and everyone stopped.... of course we laughed our butts off too.

Take some of the hay out of the run, maybe that would help.

he he ! I have a hen that loves to escape-well that's what I thought,until I found 20 eggs behind the gazebo in the tall weeds...
but they were all different colors!

Back
Top Bottom