Do chicken hide eggs intentionally?

Karel

Chirping
Nov 19, 2022
Hi all,
A question out of curiosity. I noticed my hens laid their eggs hidden in a different spot just for the two days I was out of town and had a chicken-sitter to look after them. They otherwise always lay in their shared nest. They hid the eggs underneath the straw.

Coincidence? And me overthinking this? Or are they that smart ?

I also noticed they never poop in their nest. Just like dogs and cats. Is that a thing with chicken too?

Thanks all for sharing your experiences

Hi all,
A question out of curiosity. I noticed my hens laid their eggs hidden in a different spot just for the two days I was out of town and had a chicken-sitter to look after them. They otherwise always lay in their shared nest. They hid the eggs underneath the straw.

Coincidence? And me overthinking this? Or are they that smart ?

I also noticed they never poop in their nest. Just like dogs and cats. Is that a thing with chicken too?

Thanks all for sharing your experiences
They'll poop wherever, but most broodies try to hold it until they leave for their meal. Yes, lots of chickens will instinctively lay where their eggs are likely to be 'safe' from being taken, but some are far better than others at it

They'll poop wherever, but most broodies try to hold it until they leave for their meal. Yes, lots of chickens will instinctively lay where their eggs are likely to be 'safe' from being taken, but some are far better than others at it
Cool. I think mine are smart - but of course I'm biased ;-)

The change in pattern probably threw them off of laying in nest.
Hopefully they go back to nests now, but you may have to confine them to get them back in the habit of using nest.
If they don't sleep in the nests they are not likely to poop in them.

The change in pattern probably threw them off of laying in nest.
Hopefully they go back to nests now, but you may have to confine them to get them back in the habit of using nest.
If they don't sleep in the nests they are not likely to poop in them.
Yes could be. They switched right back, it was no issue at all.

Back
Top Bottom