Hiding feed smell from pests

spuetz07

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Cochrane, WI
I was wondering if any of you had any good ideas on the best way to conceal the smell of chicken food (and cat food). I just caught a coon festing on it in right outside the coop -- scary thought because my chickens werent locked up yet. I was thinking of putting the feed in a covered tote and putting bricks on top...any other suggestions?

PS....the dog found the coon, and the hubby took care of it....one less coon to go after my chickens.

Some people use old refrigerators or freezers.

You can use big garbage cans with those lids that lock. There's lever that comes up over the lid and clasps on the other side. I wouldn't know where to get one but I know they exist.

I found this link for locking cans: http://www.dawginc.com/bearproof-can/dogproof-trashcan.php

IMO
that's a bit pricey but maybe if you take a look at the pictures, you might be able to make one yourself.

Once in a while I see ads on craig's list advertising steel/aluminum (I forgot which) barrels with locking lids. I have one, and it works really well. I wish I had more but the poster lives too far for me.

Back
Top Bottom