High Altitude Incubating...

The more air you have flowing into the incubator from outside, the harder time you are going to have keeping your humidity up. You want less holes not more IMO.

My humidity is the same as yours, though I am using a much better bator in my opinion. Even still, I have half of my holes in the dome of my incubator covered to prevent inflow of air. I am using Lyon incubators, three dome ones (TX-6 and TX-7) and a Roll-X holds more eggs than the styrafoam ones. On my domes, I have to be sure to cover the plug in on the dome where the turner plugs in as air from outside will flow in through the socket and reduce my humidity.

The problem being with yours in that you are using a styrafoam, and while some people say they are great, all of my experiences were seriously bad. They take way too long to regain temp and humidity once you open that lid to add water. Try to prevent opening the bator for any reason. If it was me, I would plug the holes and if you feel the eggs still need air, open the lid quickly once a day to let fresh air in, then close it right up.

I used to have one of those little round Turn-X incubators when I lived here in Colorado. I had mediocre-to-good hatches with it, but only tried a few eggs in it so I don't think it was anything against the incubator. Now I wish I would have kept it!

The best incubator I have ever used was a Grumbach. I think the design is similar to the Roll-X that you are having good luck with, Smoky. The design is more horizontal than a cabinet incubator. There are only two shelves and the eggs are rolled on rollers. Again, it also has the capability for a large water surface area if need be to raise humidity. The drawback is that new they start at about $2K and finding one used is extremely difficult.

I could just kick myself for selling the Grumbach. I got a *steal* on it when I bought it slightly used. We just didn't want to deal with moving it when we moved to Texas because it was like moving a small refrigerator.

I was going to start the incubation tonight, but I have not gotten the incubator temp to quite stabilize. It's bopping a bit between 97f and 100f, so I'll give it till tomorrow. I have three thermometers in the incubator, but I think that all things being equal I am going to use the water weasel as the final authority on temp.
Humidity is holding. The ambient in the room is 49% and in the incubator it was 41% before I added tonight's water, so humidity should be easyish to maintain. Just have to fill up the cool air humidifiers every night
roll.png

I agree with those who feel that the Styrofoam incubators are non-optimal. I do plan on building an incubator, but there are a boatload of reasons why that is not going to happen for this round. Maybe for the May hatch I can have something put together, but frankly, I wouldn't bet the farm on it. The dance card is just very full until June.

Last edited:
Ok guys, I started the eggs at 8am my time. Temp had stabilized overnight to 99.7.
I ended up last night wrapping blankets around the incubator to insulate it. I made sure that all the holes were not blocked, so that that air flow stays good, but I figure that the blankets will help keep the incubator less bothered by outside influences.

I checked the eggs and weighed them at 9:30pm my time. Of the 21 eggs 12 have lost 5 grams in weight since I weighed them at 7:30 last night (scale goes in 5 gram increments, so some could be less). As I pulled them out to weigh them I tried to move them around the turner upon return, i.e., moved them center to exterior and front to back. I am a little nervous about moving the eggs around this much, but I am trying to make sure that overall everyone sees the same temps over time. Does anyone know what the weight change should look like over time? They can't lose 5 grams per day or they would be non-eggs at the end of 21 days.
Humidity, which seems to be the bane of everyone went from 66% in the AM down to 44% by eve. That's quite a loss. Especially considering that with the two humidifiers in the room ambient humidity is 48% (last night was 49%). I am thinking that when I leave in the morning it's going to need to be quite high, like around 60 plus percent.

I would really avoid opening the incubator and handling the eggs as much as possible. If I were you, I would only check the air cells and weight them like once a week. You will probably need a scale that weighs by the gram or tenth of a gram too.

LOL, I know it is hard! Sometimes, I just can't help myself. I *have* to open the incubator and check the eggs. My best hatches always seem to be when I leave them alone though. If only it were easier!

Back
Top Bottom