high humidity with no water??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenChik, May 1, 2010.

1. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    This is my first experience incubating eggs so I have a lot of questions. I have been maintaining my temp at 100 and my humidity at 55 percent. I live in the deep south where it is naturally humid and on top of that it has rained for 2 days now! I said all that to say this....my humditity has been staying at 55 percent or even spiked to 70 (AHH). I have not added any water since we started on day 1. Is it normal for humidity to do this? Please help!

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I can't help you with local conditions, I'm in the pnw and it's wet here, but not enough heat to jack the ambient humidity up. My first thought though is are you sure your hygrometer is accurate? They often aren't and should be calibrated before each hatch. If you're sure the hygrometer is accurate the only thing I can think of is to put a de-humidifier in the room that you have the incubator in. [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap

Considering where you are located - YES! I have the opposite problem. I live in the desert, so I am constantly adding water.

4. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    I have two calibrated hygrometers in the bator and still high so my only guess is the location where I live. It is soooo humid here today. Any suggestions?

5. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    One more thing...is it okay that I am not adding water if the humidity is fine because of the outside humidity?

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    I live in VA. and although my humidity is not that high. I have not added water in about a week and my humidity is at 40-55. the room that I have the incubator in gets lots of full sun during the day so I have to close the blinds to that room...I can only hope it is ok. I am no expert at this either...good luck to us both.

7. _Randall_

_Randall_ Songster

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I'm no expert either, but in my opinion, IF your hygrometer is correct, the humidity reading "is what it is"...........in other words it's registering what it is sensing. I don't know what kind of bator you have, but one way to see if a significant rise will occur from what it is, is to soak a bath cloth, sponge, maxi-pad down with warm water, put it in the bator, and keep an eye on it regularly to see if a significant rise takes place. If so, then again, your reading that you were initially getting "is what it is". Remove the soaked cloth/pad, and keep a check on it in case dryer air move into your area, and makes the bator humidity drop.

8. Surehatch

Surehatch Songster

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Good advice from all

9. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I have a still air LG and live near the gulf coast in Texas. Humidity in the room I have my bator runs between 55-65% humidity, I haven't added water to my bator and the bator humidity runs about 30-35%. I am trying the dry incubation method. I have one top plug open and have the ceiling fan on in the room to provide plenty of air flow circulation. I also have the AC running as its already in the 80's during the day. Good luck on your hatch.

The only thing I can think of the decrease humidity in your house, is make sure you don't have any standing water anywhere (like house plants, etc) and kick on the AC. Maybe even get a dehumidifier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: