High Maintenance at first food?

DazeGoneBy

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
We're first time chicken owners, with 3 weeks of experience under our belt now.
With a 7 week old, a 4 week old, and a 5 week old (chicks of different breeds).

We tried giving them a tasty treat while they were scratching around in the flowerbed. The watermelon was ignored. So was the cooked rice. So was the cantaloupe. So was the plain Greek yogurt. They LOVE to perch on our shoulders, though, and tonight my husband was trying to swipe a tiny bit of yogurt on their beaks, and they were squawking at him, then jumped up on his shoulders. He held the small container of yogurt up to them, and lo and behold, they went to town! Suddenly, they can't get enough yogurt.

I have no intention of having to introduce them to new foods only when perched on my shoulder, though. In fact, the bigger they get, the less I like the pirate look.

I'm guessing perhaps we are trying to introduce treats while they are still too young. Or did we just get some high-maintenance girls?

Last edited:
Once their beak touches it they still have a few times to get used to anything new. And at this age they are not as into new foods as just learning how to be a chicken.
Your best bet for treats is to dig up some worms, find some maggots or termites and generally natural foods that their mama hen would find for them. Still, it may take a few minutes for them to dive in so I seldom offer crickets. Those are usually long gone before the chick thinks about eating them, even dead ones are not met with pleasure....yet.

I have a place I dump old brooder bags and it gets the run off from all the water where I clean water containers every day. this grows some neat maggots of many different kinds. The chicks (2-3 weeks old) in the brooders stare at the wriggling things for about 45 seconds before pouncing on them and running around in sheer delight with some in their beak.

Awww I love your description of the victorious chicks! I'll get some mealworms this weekend, and get either some pics or video.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom