High Temp for too long. Will my chicks still hatch?

Yes, so thankful! 3 healthy in the brooder, 1 assisted hatch still in incubator (probably did the wrong thing there but that's another story.) Another 1 hatched in incubator and 8 more have pipped! Nervously watching 2 more who have pipped at the wrong end but will not assist them after the first ones same issue...
Just to put you at ease, I assisted two of my eggs my first go around— one I full on had to take the shell off because they shrink-wrapped (pipped in the middle, older chickies damaged the egg, I had to remove them, it was a whole thing) and they are now a completely healthy 7 weeks old.

I only had 10 pip out of 24, so I wasn’t about to “wait and see”, nor did I want to risk the first wave of hatchers being in the incubator so long they got weak; to each their own!

Here’s my favorite lil roo Pinguino right after his assisted hatch, and now 🥰
C3F9E19C-0DEE-4292-8CB5-585641B87C63.jpeg

Good luck with your babies!

Just to put you at ease, I assisted two of my eggs my first go around— one I full on had to take the shell off because they shrink-wrapped (pipped in the middle, older chickies damaged the egg, I had to remove them, it was a whole thing) and they are now a completely healthy 7 weeks old.

I only had 10 pip out of 24, so I wasn’t about to “wait and see”, nor did I want to risk the first wave of hatchers being in the incubator so long they got weak; to each their own!

Here’s my favorite lil roo Pinguino right after his assisted hatch, and now 🥰
View attachment 3250461

Good luck with your babies!
Thankyou!

Ok, we're you relying on the incubators sensors or do you have an independent calibrated thermometer(s) and hygrometer?
Putting together the pieces from these post, I would have to say that your temperature as well as the humidity were off...they weren't reading what they were displaying.
I have independent ones, however I've had issues with the machine temperature this whole hatch, it has been fluctuating terribly! 🙄 yes this will most likely be its last hatch it's been so stressful, I think it might be time for an upgrade. Something in the machine is terribly wrong it will read 35.2°C, when the internal one reads 36.8 and I have to recalibrate the machine 4-5x a day and have it running in the mid 36s (fluctuates from 36.1 - 37.6) over night, just so they don't cook! One has hatched overnight and they weren't due until tomorrow, yet the others are mostly hatching on their day 22 so Idk 6/10 PR have hatched 3/6 LS #1, 0/6 LS #2 (4/6 have pipped though, they seem to pip unzip to where it looks like they could push out but they are still absorbing yolk 🤷‍♀️ chewing) 1/6 BLR has hatched but they aren't due until tomorrow so *he* was early

I have independent ones, however I've had issues with the machine temperature this whole hatch, it has been fluctuating terribly! 🙄 yes this will most likely be its last hatch it's been so stressful, I think it might be time for an upgrade. Something in the machine is terribly wrong it will read 35.2°C, when the internal one reads 36.8 and I have to recalibrate the machine 4-5x a day and have it running in the mid 36s (fluctuates from 36.1 - 37.6) over night, just so they don't cook! One has hatched overnight and they weren't due until tomorrow, yet the others are mostly hatching on their day 22 so Idk 6/10 PR have hatched 3/6 LS #1, 0/6 LS #2 (4/6 have pipped though, they seem to pip unzip to where it looks like they could push out but they are still absorbing yolk 🤷‍♀️ chewing) 1/6 BLR has hatched but they aren't due until tomorrow so *he* was early
Depending on what brand of incubators you get, you might want to look into acquiring one of these:
61BYbCRCHAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

About $31 + tax, from Amazon, a great 'plug & play' heater controller. Will absolutely hold the temp where you set it. I have several for my cheap foam incubators.

Depending on what brand of incubators you get, you might want to look into acquiring one of these:
View attachment 3250791
About $31 + tax, from Amazon, a great 'plug & play' heater controller. Will absolutely hold the temp where you set it. I have several for my cheap foam incubator
So I just ordered one lol is it easy to work out, does the inky just plug into that then that into the wall? The humidity has been perfect so I think I'll trial with this machine

So I just ordered one lol is it easy to work out, does the inky just plug into that then that into the wall? The humidity has been perfect so I think I'll trial with this machine
Yes, plug the incubator into 1 of the 2 temperature controller outlets, then plug the controller into the the wall outlet....it's that simple. Set the #1 channel to whatever values you want by following the directions for setting and your done. Channel 2 can be set but it will only read whatever channel 1 is set to, because there is only 1 temperature probe....which is fine if you have 2 bators running at the same time, or a hatcher. It will keep both units at the same setting. I set mine with .01 to .02°F diferential, so it holds the temp correctly....the most it fluctuates is .03°F.

With mine I have to set the controller at 101°F but at that setting it holds the temp in the bator at a constant 100°F....even numbers work best, trying to get 99.5°F is too difficult. I've been using them for about 7 years now, I have yet to have a temperature spike.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom