Highest # of Packing Peanuts You've Received

We ordered 10 SLWs, so I'm curious about what we'll get...I assume we could end up with 15 packing peanuts to equal a quarter box. Lordy, I hope I can find homes for them, cuz we do not have the room to even raise them for meat.

Quote:
I ordered like 32 chicks from McMurray once and got enough to bring the total to 50 plus an exotic and a couple extra. Don't remember exact numbers but they were all red sex link roos.

I got 10 with my first bantam/Turkey order from Ideal and when a lot of my bantams died Ideal sent replacements with 15. I think they are all RIR roos. But I have plenty of room in my freezer when they are ready.

To everyone who keeps them to put in your freezer later. Do you keep them together with the other chicks untill the are ready to slaughter or do you seperate them later on. If we get peanuts. Which it sound like we will we were gonna keep them and put em in the freezer later. I didn't know if we should fix up an old shed to keep them in or keep them all together. I was afraid the roosters would start to fight or mess with the hens to much.

I would think you probably want a seperate "bachelor pad" as you should be feeding them a growing/meat mix as opposed to a laying mix. The meat mix makes them fat, lazy and prone to heart attacks or so I hear!

I stand corrected I was told its the breed not the food that makes them fat and lazy
hmm.png

You're right it is the breed. Last summer I ordered pullets, and received a straight run instead. I had 6 roos, and they acted just like my pullets. Very active, ate about the same amount, the only diference was they were bigger and started crowing. We did order some cornish rocks last fall, and they were the most digusting things ever. They just lay around, ate, and pooped. They stank so badly!!! It was awful. I need to figure out what I'll do with my PP. I'm getting 2 silkie babies tomorrow, and I don't want them to get trampled. It maybe time to build a bigger brooder!! I was hoping I had a few more weeks.

Sonja

Back
Top Bottom