Hiland Naturals Brand (Non-GMO ) Poultry Feed - Would like to hear your experiences please.

mtnviewfarms

Songster
11 Years
Jan 30, 2011
North GA Mountains - Ellijay
I've been feeding my flock ( nearly 100 birds ) premium layer pellets and supplementing with free choice calcium and have been considering switching to the Hiland Naturals Brand of Poultry Feed. Is anyone out there feeding this brand and if so, what do you think of it?

It is much more expensive than the feed I'm using now but according to one of the videos on their website poultry fed their feed consumes up to 40 percent less feed than when fed 'traditional' premium feeds.

If this is correct then it would be cost effective in the long run to use Hiland's much more expensive feed.

Anyone out there have this or other experiences with Hiland Naturals Feed vs. other premium brands of poultry feed they would be willing to share?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The 40 percent 'or more' reduction in feed cost when using Hiland Naturals poultry feed was made in a Hiland Naturals Video on their website by their 'person' doing the video.

Yeah, I found the video you were referring to. The comment was something to the effect of "We've had customers tell us that they've seen as much as a 40% decrease in feed consumption using our non-GMO feed versus conventional feed".

I then read some of the testimonials on their website. One of them was from a customer with a pastured poultry operation raising Cornish Cross. They stated that they had been buying feed from a nearby farmer who was grinding and mixing the feed on his farm, but when they switched to this brand of feed they cut their feed usage by 50% and their feed conversion ratio went from 4:1 to 2:1.

I would counter that they must have been feeding them poorly to begin with (or had other management problems) and if they weren't getting good results then they should have been questioning their feed supplier. I produce organic eggs at a fairly large scale. I document the performance of the hens everyday. If they aren't performing as they should be then my first call is to the feed mill, so they can review their records to see if the proper ration was mixed and delivered.

Commercially produced rations do not contain "fillers". They are formulated as a complete feed from various ingredients to contain certain energy levels with the appropriate amount of amino acids, vitamins, and minerals. If a feed company was not mixing and selling an appropriate product, they wouldn't be in business very long. GMO or not, the birds should perform the same on equivalent rations.

Last edited:
I've been using Hiland for over a year now. Yes it costs more per bag but because its pure nutrition and not fillers the birds do consume considerably less feed. I think 40-50% less is pretty accurate. The first week or 2 my birds ate a lot. Then as they adjusted the feed consumption went way down.

Where are you located at? Hiland has dealers all over the country. Before you order online call them and they can refer you to the closest dealer.

I've been using Hiland for over a year now. Yes it costs more per bag but because its pure nutrition and not fillers the birds do consume considerably less feed. I think 40-50% less is pretty accurate. The first week or 2 my birds ate a lot. Then as they adjusted the feed consumption went way down.

What were you feeding them before?

I feed certified organic layer feed that is, of course, non-GMO, but that claim sounds pretty incredulous.

The 40 percent 'or more' reduction in feed cost when using Hiland Naturals poultry feed was made in a Hiland Naturals Video on their website by their 'person' doing the video.

That's the reason I've asked for BYCers 'real experiences' as I also find their claim and percentage reduction in feed consumed hard to believe but I am hoping it is true - but if not - want to know that as well.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping to start using Hiland with my small flock. The only dealer in my state happens to be a neighbor! :)
When comparing product labels, Hiland appears far superior to the Purina produced feed. I'm willing to pay even double to get the best eggs and meat I can. We'll free range as much as possible as well.

Back
Top Bottom