Hillside Poultry Farm is not telling the truth

Quote:
In my defense, I did a direct quote of someone when I used the "disquised" profanity.. You can go search all my past posts and not find any profanity in them..

who did the "f$%k" in the first place??

and in the second defense.. I am not about to back down from a challenge (in-your-face) comment.

now I am off this thread.. so you can all go on and have your fun..

........jiminwisc.........

I have to say I haven't read every word of all of the posts here, but I had to log off last night because I was pretty frustrated reading this argument.

I woke up thinking about it this morning.

I'm in the bucket of folks who believe we should be able to believe the labeling. I am NOT saying I am naive and believe it without question, but I think we ought to be able to- and it's a shame we can't.

That being said, I think folks believe, in general- that something labeled as those egg cartons are- will be a farm fresh product, locally produced. They are weighing it ethically based on those words. Some probably couldn't care less what the label says, because it's cheap. Some probably care a lot.

I agree with the original post that it's misleading at best, however I would find out the facts prior to taking action. I would be highly irritated if the eggs I used to buy, prior to my own pullets laying, were from penned, debeaked, newspaper fed chooks who never got to stretch their wings or see the light of day. It's important to me that the occasional chicken we eat is ethically and humanely produced and that the poor things got to scratch in the earth and eat bugs...so I pay $6.99 a pound for it from a local Mennonite farm...I couldn't eat my own anymore than i could eat my kids!

BUT- I am concerned about how it was produced and if I were to find out it's not as advertised, I'd be very angry.

I think it's a valid concern and applaud the OP for being concerned about the ethics of the business practices of others in her community- if we all sit back on our haunches until it affects us directly we are a pathetic nation.

I believe we are better than that and urge everyone to take action if you feel you can incite a change for the better- everywhere you see that you can!

Last edited by a moderator:
iIdid and i edited the comment and said i was wrong for doing that, I just dont think enough people have time to care or inform themselves about what they consume other than how quick and cheap it is. Sad for the children who have grown up on this industrial food............The cost of cheap will be high we shall see

sorry this was in refrence to an older post about who started the profanity

Last edited:
Quote:
In my defense, I did a direct quote of someone when I used the "disquised" profanity.. You can go search all my past posts and not find any profanity in them..

who did the "f$%k" in the first place??

and in the second defense.. I am not about to back down from a challenge (in-your-face) comment.

now I am off this thread.. so you can all go on and have your fun..

........jiminwisc.........

I'm sorry you feel this way.

kaya's farm :

Mojo Chick'n :

Kaya -

I believe in a lot of things that you espouse (buying local, knowing what goes on your plate and where it comes from, etc...) - but

What bothered me the most is that you stated that you didn't care about that, though - and that led me to believe that you were in this to stop him from underselling you - I stated so quite clearly, even quoting the passage, and basically got no answer, unless the "thick headed" comment was aimed at me, (and yes, I can be thick headed at times, and I am not ashamed to say so.)

When you became snarky to Cetawin, I decided to give tit for tat. I figured you had opened the floor (so to speak) for receiving what you had dished out.

Incidently - your argument to Cetawin was "it is not about who's eggs are better". Yet this (quality of food source) is your argument NOW - so which is it?

Are you in fact worried that the quality of food is in serious danger, are you worried that people need to be informed, or are you simply looking for a good excuse to have started this thread? (after stating --
"I could give a crap about the individual who doesnt know they are not getting farm fresh eggs for 1.25,")

Pardon me, but I am confused. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the reason you are so upset about this man selling eggs.

thank you in advance -
meri

I could give a crap about the individual who doesnt know they are not getting farm fresh eggs for 1.25,")

sorry I truly dont remember posting that myself, I was probably getting worked up.......but still dont think I posted that? Thats what iv said i wanted the whole time honesty

What ticked me off most recently was the costomer who thought they had the same quality farm fresh eggs for 1.25. Like I tell my own gram who buys eggs at Walmart cause they are cheep, the long term cost of cheep will be very high
Then she always wants my eggs cause the 1.00 walmart eggs are "not the same" as she says.

People should be allowed to buy any eggs they product they want if the packaging is not tricking you into thinking its something else.​

It was page one post 4.

I understand that this got heated. Perhaps I did push a bit - and perhaps I'll admit that I intended to push a bit - but in all honesty, your statements were conflicting and confusing when taken as a whole.

I guess my own point was that if you are going to expose this guy as a fraud (legally expose him, of course) then you need to get the simple facts to let others know and do so without the "heated reaction". We all say things in "reaction" to other things - which is a big no-no if you are trying to sound reasonable and knowledgeable (to other people).

If you plan to let others know about this man's operation not being totally above board, you cannot possibly sound like an angry competitor or a misinformed busy body - NOT saying you are, I am saying that is how it could sound to others. That is how it sounded to me (and others on this thread) for awhile.

As in the research paper you wrote, get the facts (on this issue) in order and present them in a calm manner and you will get much further with the folks locally who you are trying to inform. Not that I'm suggesting you write a research paper to hand out on it
lau.gif
but the same principle goes for communicating in all facets of life.

Be consistant, be calm, state your case and others will actually listen and make an informed choice based on what facts you have provided for them. On the other hand - if you act angry and your body language says "Get the pitchforks and the torches!" a lot of people will stop listening before you've even begun.

It is possible to be passionate without coming across to others as being alarmist. Witness Glen Beck - the man makes a lot of good points, but it gets lost in a lot of alarmist and hysterical drama. He would be taken more seriously by a lot more people if he would tone it down a little.

Peace -
Meri​

kaya's farm - I would contact Rural Vermont - our statewide family /small farm advocacy org in Vermont - and ask them for who at the Dept of Ag would be a good person to talk to, and also ask if Rural VT has any tips for you. You probably want to talk to Shelby. You might do better if you call them after the legislative session is over - I know these folks, and they are very busy right now.

In Vermont, one of the larger egg producers is Maple Meadow Farm. Of their several large poultry houses, only one of them is cage free - the other ones have cages. You can buy Maple Meadow Farm eggs that are marked as cage free or the ones that are not marked. Many people don't pay attention to which carton they are grabbing. If you buy their eggs at the coops, they are the cage free ones. If you buy them at Shaws or another grocery store, they are not cage free. I never noticed this myself until recently found it on a website when I was looking into Vermont laws about selling eggs. There had been a proposed law to require state cafeterias (and maybe schools?) to buy cage-free eggs, and MM farms opposed it because most of their operation is not cage free. But some people think MM farms is good because SOME of their cartons are marked cage free.

You must be paying attention = occasionally outraged.
wink.png

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but does it say locally grown anywhere on the carton?

I see a business name (hillside farms) and a business address (the Vermont address on the side) which does not have to be the origin address of the product, but rather the business office (which could be in the guys living room if he wants.

I see farm fresh, which unfortunately would apply if picked up from a factory farm.

All that sounds legal so far, but I'm just getting this from looking at the pics of the carton.

Just from reading the carton i would never assume that there is an actual farm called hillside farms. It is common practice for businesses to use creative names such as this even when the product comes from a giant factory. Just take a stroll through your local grocery store and check up on the brand names, this has been used in marketing for decades and is perfectly legal.

It does say grade A, I would check into the legal aspect on the USDA grading system to see if it is legal.

I too live and farm in Vermont and fully comprehend what has got Kaya's feathers ruffled. People in this state work very hard to practice sustainable agriculture. We are firm adherents to the 'taste of place' principle.

The eggs are purchased from an enormous egg farm in New York.

Kaya, please PM me.

Back
Top Bottom