His eye swelling has gone down, but not completely. We would love recommendations! Normal behavior, maintaining weight, slight nasal discharge

KrishnaChick

Hatching
Sep 8, 2023
I found him on the road in the middle of nowhere with a swollen eye and bony. We found out at the vet he weighed less than 12oz! We got a round of antibiotics and I have been putting terramycin in his eye, but it’s not completely gone. I’d love to get him healthy and introduced to the flock!

If you have any advice or experience with this, I’d really appreciate it!!

Attachments

• 38562652-7221-4175-916F-DD40B2DB4F24.jpeg
    38562652-7221-4175-916F-DD40B2DB4F24.jpeg
    880.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 579D6CAA-9BE8-42E5-B925-B3E97906CCB6.jpeg
    579D6CAA-9BE8-42E5-B925-B3E97906CCB6.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 479404D2-29C4-468F-BDCB-6CA8363EF300.jpeg
    479404D2-29C4-468F-BDCB-6CA8363EF300.jpeg
    689.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 6EAC1113-BFCB-40F8-B0E6-21F2167C4892.jpeg
    6EAC1113-BFCB-40F8-B0E6-21F2167C4892.jpeg
    785.8 KB · Views: 20
I found him on the road in the middle of nowhere with a swollen eye and bony. We found out at the vet he weighed less than 12oz! We got a round of antibiotics and I have been putting terramycin in his eye, but it’s not completely gone. I’d love to get him healthy and introduced to the flock!

If you have any advice or experience with this, I’d really appreciate it!!
Welcome To BYC

He's got quite a lot of pus in the eye that needs to be removed. Can your vet press it out for you? If not, then you'll have to do it yourself. Chicken pus will not dry up on its own even with antibiotics.

Is there a bad odor? Did the vet tell you which respiratory infection they suspected?

Do you already have chickens? If so, then IF this little guy has respiratory disease, you risk it spreading to your other chickens even if you clear up symptoms. Just so you know.

Welcome To BYC

He's got quite a lot of pus in the eye that needs to be removed. Can your vet press it out for you? If not, then you'll have to do it yourself. Chicken pus will not dry up on its own even with antibiotics.

Is there a bad odor? Did the vet tell you which respiratory infection they suspected?

Do you already have chickens? If so, then IF this little guy has respiratory disease, you risk it spreading to your other chickens even if you clear up symptoms. Just so you know.

Thank you!

Our vet has seen chickens, but it isn’t their specialty. I could see if they could press it, but if I need to- I will! Thank you for the video!!

They didn’t specify any illness and there is no odor. The size has gone down, but I’m guessing the rest that’s left may be dried.

I’m assuming it’s a respiratory infection, but that hasn’t been confirmed with a vet. We do have chickens. If I can’t introduce them, what do you usually recommend? I don’t want him to be alone and already love the little guy.

Did the vet say anything about taking the pus out of his eye?
Did the vet mention anything about respiratory disease testing?
The vet did not specialize in chickens but had seen them in the past. They mentioned pressing it out, but wanted me to try the cream for a bit and with it having improved I didn’t reach back out.

I may reach out again soon, but if I can press it than I might do it myself.

The vet did not specialize in chickens but had seen them in the past. They mentioned pressing it out, but wanted me to try the cream for a bit and with it having improved I didn’t reach back out.

I may reach out again soon, but if I can press it than I might do it myself.
Okay, thank you for responding back.
I just want you to understand that it is highly likely that this bird has a respiratory disease and chicken. Respiratory diseases are not curable so you should think about him spreading it and you having to medicate all your birds.

Sometimes antibiotics can help relieve some of the symptoms but the diseases never really go away and the symptoms can return often.

Thank you!

Our vet has seen chickens, but it isn’t their specialty. I could see if they could press it, but if I need to- I will! Thank you for the video!!

They didn’t specify any illness and there is no odor. The size has gone down, but I’m guessing the rest that’s left may be dried.

I’m assuming it’s a respiratory infection, but that hasn’t been confirmed with a vet. We do have chickens. If I can’t introduce them, what do you usually recommend? I don’t want him to be alone and already love the little guy.
He's been around your flock already?
If it's respiratory infection, this can spread to your other birds, so getting some testing to find out the cause of the infection would be best.

Okay, thank you for responding back.
I just want you to understand that it is highly likely that this bird has a respiratory disease and chicken. Respiratory diseases are not curable so you should think about him spreading it and you having to medicate all your birds.

Sometimes antibiotics can help relieve some of the symptoms but the diseases never really go away and the symptoms can return often.
Thank you for your help! That’s what I was worried about. He seems to be doing fine now, besides what swelling is left. He’s not around my other chickens and hasn’t been, but I’m not sure what to do now.

Back
Top Bottom