Hives on chick

I know you're probably quite far from the state lab, but this chick should be examined to find out what this is. It may be something genetic to just this chick, but if it's contagious, you would want to know what it is in case you need to treat other chickens in your flock.

Bag the chick and seal it well and refrigerate, do not freeze, until you decide what to do.

I have never seen this before. I would assume it's contagious and disinfect everything the chick came into contact with.

I know you're probably quite far from the state lab, but this chick should be examined to find out what this is. It may be something genetic to just this chick, but if it's contagious, you would want to know what it is in case you need to treat other chickens in your flock.

Bag the chick and seal it well and refrigerate, do not freeze, until you decide what to do.

I have never seen this before. I would assume it's contagious and disinfect everything the chick came into contact with.
I have the body saved and I think I'm going to see if my local vets would be willing to necropsy it at all first, but I will try to be able to send it off.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to see if my local vets would be willing to necropsy it at all first, but I will try to be able to send it off.
I know this is distressing and overwhelming, but I'll give you my 2¢. Your state lab will give you better results.
Not to bash vets, but most do not see or treat poultry very often (if at all), your state lab has the facilities to do testing and a pathologist that will examine the bird and write up their findings.

Refrigerate the body and give your lab a call in the morning, actually speak with them, offer to email them photos and see if they can help you with fees, shipping, etc.

Some labs are just out there expensive so it's completely understandable if you can't use your lab. If it's not "doable" then contact your vet and see what they can do for you.

I am so sorry that you lost the chick. What a horrible thing to happen. We are are so surprised at this strange set of symptoms. If you are able to get your state vet to do a necropsy, let us know what the results were. I would at least speak to the vet pathologist at the state lab just to email pictures or ask about the necropsy.

That's an option - email photos you took of the live chick and a few careful closeups of the body trying to get the lesions as clear and detailed as possible. Scientists are always eager to see and diagnose rare cases. Include the symptoms the chick was displaying as well. You might get a hint from the lab as to what this is.

We are eager as well to know what this could be. I've seen a few very rare and bizarre afflictions here in BYC, but this one is a new one. Heck, even @dawg53 didn't know what it was.

Back
Top Bottom