Hiya c:

ChickyKitty

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 18, 2014
Hello! I'm new here, I've recently been reading and looking at coop ideas for our new little flock, recently becoming slightly obsessed with the Chicken - or Poultry in general - world. I'm gaining as much knowledge and information about different breeds, coop building and all there is to know.

We have started our flock off with two standard sized Ameraucanas, going by the names of Isis and Cherry. Next we selected a little herd of bantams, two of each of the following: Golden Seabrights, Silver Seabrights, Blue Silkies and Porcelain d'uccles. (going by the names in order of breeds listed before as Dawn & Dusk, Rain & Blizzard, Cotton & Buffy, Gruyere & Parmesan) However, unfortunately it turned out both of our Silver Seabrights were males, and they had to go to a farm, one owned by a fellow 4-H leader as my mother is one herself. I had noticed at least one of them starting to screech/crow and bully the others, including the much larger then themselves Ameraucanas. They pulled out all of Isis' throat feathers, luckily it seems they are gradually growing back in.

I decided to join BYC after my mom (Flyingfilly) told me she had.

We also are temporarily housing a mother Phoenix chicken, and her half-brahma chicks, Sewa and Rio. Unfortunately, Osha (or Oshi) died recently, it was very sad for us. Poor mother, started out with 4 chicks and she now only has 2.

But that's all for my introduction, I hope to learn everything I can and show my lovely birds!

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sorry for your losses and the bullying. Sometimes males can be aggressive.

The best place to start is in our learning center. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry, including building the coop, raising the chickens and keeping our adult flock happy and healthy...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Stop by our coops pages as well for some great ideas for building your coop. Many of these coops are easy to follow and some of them even have easy to follow plans...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Enjoy this new adventure you are on! If you have any questions, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the chicks the mother hen lost, it is sad to lose the little ones. Glad the rest of your flock is doing well, sounds like you have a nice selection of breeds.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear about the losses! I hope the remaining chicks will thrive. You have picked some very nice breeds and I love their names!

Back
Top Bottom