Hiya!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by QueenieMinx, Mar 26, 2018.

1. QueenieMinx

QueenieMinx Chirping

Mar 26, 2018
    Springtown, TX
    New duck mama here. I went to the feed store the other day, and while there, the manager asked me if I'd like some free ducklings. They were injured during transport and she wanted to make sure that they at least had a chance. So I bundled them up and brought them home. I have 5 little Pekin (I think) quackers now! We have a 5 acre homestead, so they will have plenty of room as well as a little pond. I've had them for a few days now, and all but one seem to be over their injuries. My little runt of the flock has a leg that just doesn't work as well on land, but he zooms in the water, so I think he'll be ok.

jadip4, Teila, Smuvers Farm and 4 others like this.
  2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Hello and :welcome So glad to have you join our flock :jumpy
    Congrats on taking home those ducklings

3. QueenieMinx

QueenieMinx Chirping

Mar 26, 2018
    Springtown, TX
    Thanks! They're pretty cute. This is my first time with ducks. I've had chickens years ago, but ducks are new. I've been reading up a lot on them though, so hopefully I'm doing it right.

4. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

5. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Congratulations on becoming a duck mom and :welcome! There’s so many helpful, knowledgeable folks here and I’m sure you’ll find this site a very useful resource. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do.

6. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

How nice you were willing to take on the ducklings, glad you're enjoying them. Just in case you haven't found it yet, here's a link to the Duck forum...they might be able to give you some assistance with your one little guy:
    Ducks

Thanks for joining us!

drumstick diva and 007Sean like this.
  7. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    :welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
    It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

drumstick diva, N F C and 007Sean like this.
  8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G'Day from down under QueenieMinx :frow Welcome and Congratulations! :clap

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. There are some down the bottom of the page which are duck specific.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your ducklings, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

007Sean and drumstick diva like this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome Queenie Minx, sounds like you are doing a great job with the ducklings. The only thing I know about them is they can suffer from niacin deficiencies which among other things cause leg issues. The duck folks should be able to access his condition. The remedy is adding Brewer's yeast to the feed etc. They would know the amount needed.

007Sean and N F C like this.
  10. QueenieMinx

QueenieMinx Chirping

Mar 26, 2018
    Springtown, TX
    Thanks all! All 5 of my ducklings are still doing great!

007Sean and N F C like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: