hmm, they were sold to me as royal palms... pics.*new pics added*

birdbrain5

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2010
I bought a pair of royal palms and when I picked them up the man showed me the parent birds. They were all beautiful black and white, looked fine to me. I noticed my hen has some brown in her, but I (not being experienced) just thought maybe it was because she was young
roll.png
My tom looks like a royal palms should, but now Im wondering about my hen... I planned to hatch and sell poults but now Im not sure what to do if she isnt pure or doesnt have the right coloring... any thoughts?
Only pic I have of the hen, if you can see her back you can see the brown in the feathers..
64605_dsc01687.jpg

64605_dsc01673.jpg

Last edited:
he didnt have any narragansett on the property that i saw. he did have a bourbon red tom, but everyone was kept seperate...

poor quality royal palms can leak reddish brown feathers. Golden palms and red palms have also been developed. just got a gorgeous golden palm tom today. cant see your hen well enough to tell.

darn, this is disapointing news. should i not breed these turkeys? or if i did what would i sell them as, golden palms?
im going to get better pics tomorrow to post to see if they even qualify for golden palms. boy, people can sense an inexperienced person and they really pull one over on ya, maybe its my own fault but i just didnt realize it so much until lately.

You could always hatch out a few poults and see what they produce... See feathersite, http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Turkeys/BRKRoyalPalm.html, for a pic of a golden palm hen), your girl looks a lot like the golden palm pictured there (from what I can tell in your picture). I think she is beautiful, but if you wanted to sell eggs that could be a problem
hmm.png
I don't know what you'd get crossing a RP to a GP...

oh yes, looking at that pic im quite sure they are both golden palms now. my hen looks like that hen and even my tom looks like that tom pictured also, with much less brown but still some. well then, are golden palms as marketable as royal palms? i already have eggs in the bator so lets hope so!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom