Hoarse 3-month old cochin

jdellosso

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
Alameda, CA
Our 3-month old cochin sounds quite hoarse compared to our other one (we just have two), no discharge from nose or eyes, no coughing or sneezing, happy, healthy, normal poop and sleep habits. She's been this way for about a week, this is their fourth day spending the night outside, where it drops to a chilly California fall temp of 50-60 degrees. Just a box of pine shavings in the coop to sleep in. Voice change? She sounds like a rooster. Should I take her to the vet for a possible respiratory infection?

could be exposure to dusts...
I've been hearing some chickens have shown a sensitivity to pine shavings..but it's rare..

what all do you feed?
describe the droppings in detail..color and consistency..

you can take her to a vet if you're able to..if not..

any feed/farm/livestock supply store carries antibiotics...

here is a link to online source; click antibiotics in the side board..click meds for what they are used for..
most will be available at feed stores..in the LIVESTOCK section.

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/

I prefer Tylan 50 injectable..also comes as water soluble (goes in drinking water)..
but she might just need something like a tetracycline..(shown as oxytetracycline)
some people use Duramycin..

is she wheezing? have any mucus? wet or swollen eyes?

best to bring them in so she can keep warm and no draft or wet or chilling....then let them gradually get used to cooler temps.(after she's better)

another thought..
check the crop..do you know how to do that?
she might be eating the bedding...
feel the crop for grainy feeling, or doughy mass or lump..best to check in the morning before she eats.

Thank you so much for your advice, Sammi!

Droppings are shaped like a worm, greenish with a white tip, sometimes a little drier squiggle, sometimes a squiggly pile (hmm, how does one describe chicken poop?!?) We've introduced some "people food" such as veggies and homemade bread and brown rice. I covered the coop in a blanket last night to keep in the heat. She's still her very active self.

I've held her closely to listen to her breathing, and hear no rattling or sniffles. No watery eyes (which I think would indicate an allergy to the pine or something else), no sneezing, no nasal discharge.

I will check out the Tylan antibiotics. It would be a good idea to have some on hand if she worsens-very valuable info, thanks again.

Tomorrow morning I will check her crop...could you help me out with how to do that?

Back
Top Bottom