Hobbies for anxiety?

When I'm having issues with anxiety, I find that I like to go on a walk to clear my head, especially a walk in the woods. I'm able to notice my surroundings and think about them, which allows me to calm down.
I'm also a fan of crocheting- it uses repetitive motions, which is very soothing, and you end up with a great final product and feel good about creating something.

Writing. It sometimes makes a world of difference to put feelings into a poem or a novel. I also love photography, so I like to combine the two on my blog. (Which I really need to get back to but life has been busy lately. 🤪 ) Here is one example I shared publically about emotions: https://followinghimbesidestillwaters.wordpress.com/2020/02/10/my-emotions/ I was going through a really hard time after losing my 15 1/2 year old cat, Angel, and writing things like this really helped.

Or sometimes, not putting those feelings into the writing, but escaping. This is the same principle as reading and getting lost in the story, except... you are in charge. I like writing in genres that aren't real-world, so when I write, I'm actually putting myself in that other world for a while. It's important for me to not bottle anxiety for too long, or I start feeling like I'm losing my mind.

I had to process a mean rooster, lost one of my favorite hens to a sudden illness, and noticed my sweet Polish girl Poppy has a swollen face like maybe she has MG. I also obtained and distributed 40 ex bat hens and had a bad experience with one of the “adoptees”. I am so scared my flock is sick. I’ve just been bubbling over with emotions and anxiety all week 😭 I feel you pain acutely. I hope things start looking up for you. And for me too 😞
Oh wow, I'm so sorry. I relate, I lost two chickens I hatched from eggs and a 13 year old cat on the same day last March. And I lost one of my chickens yesterday. It's hard.

Praying your flock isn't sick! 💕

Last edited:
I have lost lots of chickens recently and my anxiety has be going insane and I have been throwing to gether some interesting stuff and saying a chant to see what it would do. I can't look at myself in the mirror anymore 😕😪 so any hobbies that I could try that helps you with anxiety please tell.
I relate, I've lost three chickens and three cats this year so far. It's rough.

I also relate to not being able to look in the mirror. When my anxiety / depression was at its worst, I went through the same thing.

I don't know if I'd call it chanting, but I like to repeat Bible verses to myself. Lord's Prayer and Psalm 23 (points at username, haha) are two of my go-to ones.

I've got really bad anxiety, and while it doesn't make it go away, it is relaxing for the time that you are doing it. Jewelry making.

View attachment 2667833View attachment 2667834View attachment 2667835View attachment 2667837View attachment 2667838View attachment 2667839View attachment 2667840

Not the best photos, and I have a ton more, but you get the idea.

Though the all around #1 hobby I've found is painting. It's extremely satisfying waiting the paint stain the page, and as the paint just glides.

Water Color is amazing, and you can do so much. But acrylic is more satisfying with each stroke. Both have the same relaxation factor which help. Highly recommend.

You can really go into another world.
Your jewelry is AMAZING. 😮

Why can't you look in the mirror?
You're a beautiful creation...don't hate on yourself in any way :hugs
I used to struggle with this issue a lot, panic attacks, etc. I never really found anything except temporary answers until I started trusting God more with my life.
Joyce Meyer has a lot of good stuff on this topic:

Breaking Free from Worry & Anxiety

and she has another one on fears, since anxiety is just overactive fear.

This stuff helped me, also spending time doing the things I enjoy doing, and not over-pressuring myself based on others' expectations.
View attachment 2667933
Same, a lot of my anxiety started getting better when I started trusting God more. I still have moments when I feel like I'm defective though, haha. And I have to keep reminding myself,

"For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother’s womb.

I will give thanks to You,
For I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well." (Psalm 139:13-14)

Back
Top Bottom