Hobbit town is waiting for baby chicks in 9 days?!

I hope all goes well.
I would consider swapping the heat lamp with a ceramic heat emitter after the first couple days so the chicks can have a daily dark period. 24 hours of light a day tends to make them a bit crazy and it actually changes the shape of chickens' eyes.

I hope all goes well.
I would consider swapping the heat lamp with a ceramic heat emitter after the first couple days so the chicks can have a daily dark period. 24 hours of light a day tends to make them a bit crazy and it actually changes the shape of chickens' eyes.
Great info! I order 2 of them, they be here before the hatch! Thanks!

Last edited:
Good and you're welcome. The ceramic emitters fit in normal heat lamp fixtures. They come in everything from 25 watt to 300 watt.
ceramic heat emitters | eBay
Very few people seem to know this I surmise from all the pictures of brooders with red and white heat lamps posted.
Chicks and all chickens exposed to constant illumination have eye enlargement. The increase in eye diameter was thought to have been caused by accumulation of fluid. Other eye problems have been recorded like cataracts, corneal thickening and retina damage.

Congratulations on your upcoming hatch! So exciting! I swear by the brooder plates. Mine use these right out of the incubator.😊
BEA7BE6C-A7D5-4A66-8FF3-222ED00A7950.jpeg
FD301B66-CA03-4659-8D3D-259B27179B9C.jpeg
834BB805-E6B5-4A9E-B127-8D28012D327D.jpeg

Good and you're welcome. The ceramic emitters fit in normal heat lamp fixtures. They come in everything from 25 watt to 300 watt.
ceramic heat emitters | eBay
Very few people seem to know this I surmise from all the pictures of brooders with red and white heat lamps posted.
Chicks and all chickens exposed to constant illumination have eye enlargement. The increase in eye diameter was thought to have been caused by accumulation of fluid. Other eye problems have been recorded like cataracts, corneal thickening and retina damage.

I hate using the 250 watt red lights so drop down to 150 watt red bulb and the white light is a 75 lizard light.. Now i place a ceramic emitter on left side at day one and the red one along with it and switch the red light out after the 2nd day of hatch I test make sure that the temp will be right were it needs and room from the heat to move away if needed less temp.

Looks really cool! Thanks for the photos. I look into it, see if i can swing the cost?
Come in different sizes. Brinsea is the most expensive one, but other brands are also available. I got mine in sale on Amazon. Walmart online has them too. I have two sizes and they pack up flat for storage when not in use.
These chicks are two weeks old and they are outside on my front patio in a converted chinchilla cage.😊
118FC92F-9D48-4520-A1B3-1893641CF612.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom