Hog Question!

chickenmomva

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Northern Neck,VA
We are 2 weeks away from butchering our hogs. We took them off the supplement 2 weeks ago and they are not eating like they were. The are getting just straight corn and when the supplement was mixed in the were eating 15 bushels a week. Now they arent even eating 1 bushel a day! I dont want my hogs to lose weight before butcher day what can we do!

Are you feeding them whole corn? If so that is probably your problem. Try grinding it and as long as they are eat 2-3 lbs a day they should be fine. They are very effective eaters.

We do feed them whole corn. We have from the beginning but have added supplement and other grains periodiclly. We were told to take them off the supplement 1 month before butchering them so we did. And now they dont seem to be intrested in the food. They got picky on us.

Grind It and that should fix your problem. They will get more nutrition out of it as well and it is easier on their mouths. We always grind our feed (feeding 1600) and have never had a problem with them eating.

Quote:
How and with what do you grind your corn. I'm going to plant about 1 acre of field corn to feed my goats and chickens this summer. Also thinking about getting a pig to "feed out".

I'm been looking for something to use to crack the corn, but have come up empty.

I have an old hand corn sheller to use.

Chris

time to go antique shopping. What works best is an old coffee bean grinder. I am feeding 1700 so I get to cheat and use industrial feed mills. Also you could probably find a farmer willing to help you out and run it through theirs.

Back
Top Bottom