Hold my hand - real basic coop plans!

fmernyer

Songster
7 Years
Apr 9, 2012
CT

Okay - kinda silly - a photograph of the plans - but its what I got right now...

Definitely 6 - possibly 8 chickens.

8' x 5 ' X 4' coop. (height depends on how much we lift it off ground, I think)

3 nest boxes - 12x14"- 8" off floor - sloping tops.

Two back doors that swing open for cleaning at back of coop. Loose netting to discourage free for all when cleaning, if necessary. No lip on bottom (or removable) for ease when cleaning.

Roosts - 3 roosts?- made with rounded edge 2X2's or equivalent branches - same height? 12" away from wall - 12" away from each other? One ladder? Higher than nests. Removable for cleaning.

Pop hole - 20"H with ramp (30 deg or less I hear)

4 vents - front to back - not sure of size of vents yet.

Not working on run, yet. That will come. Am I missing something?

Thanks!!

~Dawn

you might want to put thefeed and water where you can reach it easily without going thru the coop., I am thinking about nest boxes accessable from outside, but decided to get add on another roosting coop instead, then leave the main coop for nesting and eating.

Aha! I'll move them closer to the door. Getting to the nest boxes from the outside would be the best - but I'm afraid of making the design too complicated since we don't have a lot of skills - lol. I'll look into it and see what the mister thinks. That would free up space by the door for the water/feeder.

What size should the vents be and/or should I be including plexiglass window for light or something? Seems like a big dark box right now.

Raise it off the ground so you can stand and work. Make everything accessible from the outside of the coop without having to go into the run.

Just my experience.

Chris

Yes! I was thinking knee height or thereabouts for just that reason - thank you! I imagine it will make it just a bit harder for the critters to get in, too!

what are you making the nest boxes out of? - if theyre just wooden boxes just put a hinge on it with a latch - no real skills needed there.
smile.png

If you put it on legs and raise it off the ground 2' and fence it the chickens can go under for shade and snow/rain protection. I stapled plastic feed bags to the bottom of our coop for protection this past winter.

If you put it on legs and raise it off the ground 2' and fence it the chickens can go under for shade and snow/rain protection. I stapled plastic feed bags to the bottom of our coop for protection this past winter.

Interesting idea! If I didn't include that space in the run then they can go there when they're free rangin'!

'no real skills' being relative
wink.png

But yeah - I think we're gonna try that. Thanks!

yeah i guess thats true - but i meant it is pretty simple and straight forward - and if you had any questions or doubts you could consult your kitchen cabinets.

Back
Top Bottom