Holding chickens

ks6chicks

Chirping
Jul 7, 2018
SE Kansas
5BEA6440-B7B2-482F-83EC-CF65C23EAE62.jpeg
One of my white leghorns (maybe both, I can’t tell them apart) lets me hold her and pet her. She doesn’t hold still to be picked up, but once I have her in a comfortable position she seems to relax. I think. I make sure her feet aren’t trapped because I don’t want to force my affections on her, but I’m new to chickens. If she’s terrified or something I don’t want to do it.

I pick her up, put her feet in one palm of my hand and hold her against me with my arm. I start with a finger and stroke her head and between her wings. She closes her eyes and even lets her head droop down. Sometimes I move her away from my body so she can see she’s not trapped.

I really wanted an affectionate chicken that liked the company of people, but I got my chicks from Atwood’s and they couldn’t tell me the breeds and the bin marked pullets were the only ones that were sexed. So I got two of each color. I plan on getting just two chicks soon so I can socially see them better and finding a specific breed.

Anyway, I don’t want my chickies to be unhappy. I included a pic of her being held, although she’s not as relaxed as she seems to get because I pulled out my phone and it got her more alert.

Aww. I love holding my girls, too! Mine grew up being held, petted, hand fed, and you know, I guess they've been exposed to all the 'good' socializing. :D They are all six SUPER friendly and love to follow me around! And most of them are pretty tolerant of being petted and occasionally picked up (I don't pick most of them up, because even though they'll let me, I know they aren't fans of being held, unless THEY want to jump into my lap on their own rare terms :lol:). My Wyandotte, Lacey, was freakin' crazy wild as a young'un! There was a time I could barely even get somewhat close to her. But now?, she's super sweet and calm and is great at holding still to let me stroke her soft back. Mine are still young, but old enough where most of them are laying eggs now, and shortly before they lay their first egg, it seems, most of them should dramatically mellow out, much like mine did. It's just when they're younger that a lot of them are skittish even if socialized frequently, in my own experience. :)

This is me having snuggles with one of mine after treating a wound. She doesn’t like to be picked up but once she’s on my lap she will happily go to sleep and enjoys being pet. I’ve had to handle her due to her wound care, if she didn’t want meant to be there you’d know about it lol
5533B0D0-85F0-4CA2-B033-4E5A2EB2C079.jpeg

I'm contrary. I grew up with Birds so I handle them as needed and that varies from bird to bird based on what they are used for. My birds are neither demanding nor pushy..

Getting that aside, just try to make so the handling does not promote stress. Some responses that appear to be cuddling can be indicative of discomfort.

Back
Top Bottom