Hole in egg shell - picture attached

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aschassberger, Jan 2, 2011.

1. aschassberger

aschassberger Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Hi there, I collected eggs this morning and found one with a hole in it. Does it look like it was pecked, or maybe just happened to occur naturally? Any ideas? I think it came from my speckled sussex who just started laying on Christmas. They are on layer food, so it shouldn't be calcium problem. hmmm...

[​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I had a chicken that couldn't absorb calcium...

I supply layer and extra calcium (oyster shell)

It could be a claw mark/ puncture or a weak spot in the egg.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    The hole looks a little rough on the edges. i would suspect a chicken beak made that.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Beak or claw. I must say you have a beautiful thumbnail!

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Mostly likely a claw. Eggshells are still somewhat soft when they are laid. Its highly possible that the hen could have stepped on it before it was fully dry, thus allowing the claw to make the hole without the entire egg shattering.

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Beak or claw, but sometimes that happens by accident, specially if there are several eggs in the box or the hen does a lot of moving around to get things just right. It doesn't automatically mean that you have an egg eater, but if the shell seems weak it's a good indication that someone needs extra calcium and you should put some oystershell out if you don't already.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When the hen lays the egg, she stands up, so it falls a bit. That could be a beak or claw, but it could also be that it hit a nail head or something hard to cause that. I'd check the nest for something hard, especially a nail head sticking up a bit.

Is the egg shell really thin? It doesn't look like it to me but you are there holding it.

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Yup--happens once in a while. It is one of those things like soft, misshaped and odd ball eggs that one never sees commercially because they are culled out but surprises BYC people.

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:Agreed [​IMG]

10. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Forget the egg... what on EARTH do you do to get such pretty hands???!! THIS is the important topic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by