Holiday "detox" diet

I don't know a particular diet. Lots of veggies- steamed, roasted, or in soups and some lean protein for your main courses (The more fish the better- just not fried). Fruits and nuts, whole grain breads and cereals. Low fat dairy, and of course- eggs in moderation- if you can get them. LOL
If you're like me, there is a point during meals, where you pause, and maybe put down yor fork, -this is the time to make yor self aware of how your body feels. Do I feel satisfied? Am I still hungry? And either eat a little more or stop. I have a Mayo Clinic cookbook that is fab. Lots of tasty, healthy recipes- and good over all health info.
(My chickens eat healthier than I do- I would never give them processed, suar/ fat laden foods. But I confess, a chocolate covered, cream filled roll from Krispy Kream-well some days I would kill for one!! LOL)

Quote:
The fruit and veggie thing is very smart. For the large dose of Vit C, just take 4 of the huge chewables. It is a water soluble vitamin so your pee will be bright yellow and I am not kidding when I say, STAY close to a toilet. And as always, consult a DR before you do this. Even vitamins are not something to be taken lightly.

I drink lots of cranberry juice...it helps me! Good luck!
big_smile.png

As a Personal Chef and Nutritionist I do not recommend "Detoxing" to anyone! It falls under "FAD DIETS!"

The best thing is to is to double your salads and fresh or frozen veggie intake (a void canned because of sodium).

Get the frozen veggies that come in the microwave steam baggs for speed and convienience.

Avoid anything pre packaged and highly processed like healthy choice, or anything with "diet" or "Healthy" on the box. Those things are filled with preservatives and chemicals, try to read the ingreditents list, if you can....

Avoid flavored yogurts. Stick to ones with "Active culture" on the lable.

Cut your meat intake in half or more, get your protein from beans or fish.

Avoid white sugar like the plague. Try honey (local harvested if possible) or raw, unprocessed sugar. (that includes high fructose corn sugar I.E. sodas.)

DO NOT EAT FAST FOOD IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM!
That stuff is designed to make you crave it and make you fat.

And Finally, GET YOUR BUTT OFF THE COUCH AND WALK AT LEAST 1 HOUR A DAY!
Get other forms of exercise in addition to walking three times a week, have fun, get sweaty.

I almost forgot. Drink lots of water...sip it constantly...carry a bottle with you everywhere!

If you eat right and take exercise, the Detox will take care of it's self.

Last edited:
If you make what seismic wonder2 says above a habit, you won't need to de-tox.

I believe it is normal and natural to eat more fatty foods this time of year. If you do it right (organic cream & butter instead of conventional, cook at home, don't over-indulge) you won't feel cruddy, or you will be more aware of when you do begin to feel cruddy and start to add more fresh foods before you really start to feel bloated, etc.

I've been through some of the "fadish" diets and yes, you will feel a whole lot better, but it isn't very likely you will stick to them for the long haul. Buying (and using) a juicer is a great change, cutting all sugar (and not switching to artificial sweeteners) is eye-opening. It may be worthwhile to try these sorts of extreme diets, just to get perspective on how various foods affect your body. If you can stand it, try a raw food diet for a few days (at least). I think you will get the results you are looking for.

Quote:
Not even for about a week or 2 just to get the toxins out of my body? I'm in no way overweight, I don't want to "diet" I just want to detox for a week or two and get the toxins out before I go back to eating the way I did before the holidays.

Try the raw food diet for a few days. I really think you will feel a whole lot better. The only drawback is that unless you are juicing, you will need to get creative about preparing foods. There is a great website with recipes if you are interested.

Anything that has not been cooked. Here are some recipes .

Here is something that sounds good to me (my formatting might be a little off, as I copied and pasted and tried to edit it back):

CREAMY AVOCADO GAZPACHO

Courtesy of http://www.vegparadise.com/

1 C. (237 ml) water Flesh of 1 medium avocado, reserving 1 T. for garnish
2 C. (480 ml) chopped cucumber
1 1/2 C. (355 ml) chopped tomatoes
1/2 to 1 Serrano chile, with seeds, sliced (optional)
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 sprig mint leaves
Juice of 2 lemons or limes
1/2 t. salt 1 t. maple syrup (can use dates or honey to sweeten)

2 small mint leaves Paprika (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a blender in the order listed. Start blender on low speed for a few seconds, then switch to high. Blend until creamy and smooth, about 1 1/2 minutes.

Pour into 2 soup bowls. Dice reserved avocado and gently drop them into the center of the bowl. Add a mint leaf and sprinkle diced avocado with paprika if desired. Serves 2.

Back
Top Bottom