Holly nest?

New layers may break eggs as they try to rearrange the nest to their liking before laying THEIR egg.
How big are your nest boxes, how many nest boxes are there and how many hens?

Depends, really. As a general rule, an egg is broken and the hen/pullet instinctively eats it as a way to deter predators. They can break for a lot of reasons, whether there isn't enough nesting material in the box, thin shells, or as Wyo said she may have been rearranging and broke it.

I also think one will eat an egg if they're trying to get some missing nutrients. If you've got them on good feed with a side of oyster shell, than it was probably an accident that will happen again. In my experience, it's inevitable :p

Unless there is something else going on, I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

Ok,so yesterday I was relieved by all of your posts...now today I have more to ask...spin each getting these these 12 hens in mid aug. we have gotten between 9-11 eggs a day..once 13. So yesterday we got 7 and a yolky mess. Today we got 7. 1 pullet and another yolky mess...the food is the same..the birds are the same..they look healthy..I’ll post a few pictures but it doesn’t show anything...so, if it is the immature bird..why would the other eggs be decreasing suddenly...I’m just a worry- wort I suppose but I’d rather be safe than sorry

Production hybrids are prone to laying problems - guessing that's what these are since they're rescues. It is their time to start slowing down production for the seasonal molt, but keep a close eye on their behavior as no-shell eggs has always been a sign of reproductive issues in my 3.
Have you had any oddly shaped or mis-colored eggs leading up to the no-shell egg? Look for a messy bum to find out who layed the shell-less egg and keep an eye on her. Is she foraging and 'chickening' with the rest, or kinda just following along without much vigor? A sick hen will 'act' healthy as best as she's able, but can generally be snooped out with keen observation.
Once you find the culprit, check her over - particularly her abdomen - for any signs of swelling. Compare with the healthy girls if you need to. She won't need to be separated unless very ill, as reproductive issues like this aren't really contagious.
I find a good warm epsom soak tends to work wonders for egg issues as it can alleviate swelling, you just have to make sure they're well into the water and it's warm, but not overheating them and that they are well dried afterward with a hairdryer on low. (note that it takes ages to blowdry feathers). If you start seeing any signs of 'puss' being passed, get your hen to the vet. Otherwise, just monitor and keep an eye on her condition.

In my opinion, yes. As long as you're keeping an eye on things, which it sounds like you are, you'll know if something is wrong. Never be worried about asking. You are right: better safe than sorry :)

Well there is one white chicken that came a few weeks ago. Not with the rest. She was laying in weird places at first because her owner didn’t have a coop. But her eggs were ok. She has a brownish bumm. But my other chickens are brown so I would have no clue if they were too. As for odd shape. When we first got them. We would occasionally get a pointy one. But not for awhile some are lighter brown but we have 3 light brown chickens. Ok. I hope you guys don’t mind me bugging you. Hope they are just slowing down for winter

Back
Top Bottom