Holy Cow! SINGING WORKS!!!!! URGENT MESSAGE 4 ALL ROO OWNERS!!!!

Now THIS is a cool thread!

I'm going to start singing to my chickens, just in general.

AWESOME!
celebrate.gif

I read somewhere you could "tame" an aggressive roo by holding him in your arms and just walking around with him as you do you chores (one-handed of course). Do this for about 10 to 15 minutes and also raise and lower him holding him with both hands. My guess is that this establishes you as alpha and demotes him down the ladder. then he is not so "uppity" and mean.

I am not allowed roos but have them anyway in my garage (long story they all get outside time though just in the afternoon...) Anyway when I open the garage door it is a crowing contest of who can be the loudest, now I turn the radio up (not too high but not too low either) to classic rock and they quiet down immediatly. It is very possible that classic music would work better but i am a rock and roll type lady
lol.png

Quote:
We've been using that method with our big orp roo for a few months now, and it finally seems to be working! My sons and I were out working in the coop and run today for at least 3 hours and Frost didn't get uppity with anyone even once!!! I think it's important to have multiple members of the family learn how to handle a roo, though, because at first he just seemed to associate the new "discipline" with me alone. My DH still occasionally has a problem with him, but he's now learning to use the calm holding technique, rather than fighting back (which only makes the battles get worse).

i have been doing this for a few days now, for me, i sit every evening with him in the coop, all the girls in audience, and hum hymns to him, if i miss a nite, and only pet him, it doesn't have the same affect- but it has seemed to help- so now we have tuck in time...LOL!

Back
Top Bottom