Holy Hera! What is wrong with my Tom's legs?!

RubySoho5280

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2023
Hi all! I was out looking at the birds and saw that my turkey's legs looked strange. I'm not sure if this is mites or if his feet are just cold. I just want to scream at all of my turkeys. They have warm, dry places to roost and they just wander around in the snow. I even put their food right by the shelter so they don't have to. If this is leg mites, I know how to treat it, but I don't want to treat for them if that's not the right thing.

Attachments

• 20240109_130126.jpg
    20240109_130126.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240109_130202.jpg
    20240109_130202.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 19
Hi all! I was out looking at the birds and saw that my turkey's legs looked strange. I'm not sure if this is mites or if his feet are just cold. I just want to scream at all of my turkeys. They have warm, dry places to roost and they just wander around in the snow. I even put their food right by the shelter so they don't have to. If this is leg mites, I know how to treat it, but I don't want to treat for them if that's not the right thing.
Turkeys don't normally get frostbite. It is possible if they don't have proper roosts.

If it is mites (doesn't look like a classic case of leg mites), it doesn't have anything to do with them roosting or not roosting in a sheltered place.

If it was mine, I would coat the area with Vaseline.

Back
Top Bottom