Holy o Hawk!!

i have problems with the same critters, i used to trap the coons because they reached through the chicken wire and tore them in small pieces to get the meat out.then i realized it was my fault for having bad wire to begin with so i changed it all and stopped trapping. and what 10 week old pup? the same kind? lions and tigers and bears oh my !
I've never trapped them and we've never had anything get in our pens, other than the weasel last winter.
My hens are free range...I may have to rethink that.

10 week old is an American Eskimo. I had one for almost 13 years. I lost her in Sept. Missed her too much, so I recently got another one. Not a big scary dog (she'll grow to be 25-30 lbs), just a pet!

I use a electric fence charger with 2 low wires around the coop and run, so far it keeps the raccoons away. I have trapped them at a friends coop with dog proof traps that work very well too

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Dog+Proof+Coon+Traps/Duke+DP+Coon+Trap
With the hens being free range I don't know how I'd do an electric fence. I also have a young daughter that feeds, waters, pets them. I'd be worried about her touching it.
Might be something to look into for the winter. They don't free range much then and daughter isn't outside a lot petting them.

oh, she is so pretty ! where do you find such beautiful animals?

Lol. I got my original American Eskimo, when looking for a kitten! I came home with her instead! She kinda looked like a kitten lol.
When I decided I needed another one, I was lucky enough to find a really nice woman selling them less than a hour from my home!
The Belgian was a different story, she took years, lots of research and searching and traveling hours to get her.
And I love fluffy dogs lol
love.gif

The electric fence is something you can turn on and off and even use a timer I keep it on at night while the girls are in the hen house, the fence will not electrocute any human or animal it is low impedance
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/zarebareg;-10-mile-ac-low-impedance-fence-charger?cm_vc=-10005

See now a timer would be good. I'd be so afraid I'd forget to shut it off!!
And we have a tractor supply about 40 min from here. (That's not far, compared to some things, we live in the boonies!)

so do i, about 40 min to tsc. i have a wal-mart and a kroger and a bunch of little stores in town but it is famous. the town. madison, IN. and friendship IN. home of the national muzzle loading ***. wordwide flee market and all these people around here get rich of the junk laying in their yards because everyone that comes is so sure its worth a mint. and my amish friends can sell a turd and people think its good. what a rip off

I use a electric fence charger with 2 low wires around the coop and run, so far it keeps the raccoons away. I have trapped them at a friends coop with dog proof traps that work very well too

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Dog+Proof+Coon+Traps/Duke+DP+Coon+Trap

Ive been thinking electric fence might be a good plan, would be handy round my mobile guinea pig and rabbit run. Not that we have ravoons, but the dog finds them fascinating, would give them a bigger 'bubble' ...they dont mind her but shes a little bit excitable.

I cant imagine having to fend off such an agile predator. You have my sympathy.

With the hens being free range I don't know how I'd do an electric fence.  I also have a young daughter that feeds, waters, pets them.  I'd be worried about her touching it.
Might be something to look into for the winter.  They don't free range much then and daughter isn't outside a lot petting them. 

In my experience kiddlets learn how to manage electric tape really quickly. As long as you dont attach it to the mains (a boss I had did that, I picked myself up from the middle of the yard the day I conected with that one )

My girls are less likely to get zapped than me. You can get good hook/handles that cow cockies use as gates, simple and inexpensive.

Yesterday while supervising foraging of my hens a hawk swooped down and almost picked off one of my hens just 10' in front of me. The hawk didn't see me sitting in a chair because of the roof line if it wasn't for my yelling and the basketball pole I think I would have lost a hen.

Back
Top Bottom