Holy raccoons, Batman!

Geckochick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
We have had three raccoons hanging around our house today. And, by hanging around, I mean on the porch, scratching at the door like a cat wanting dinner, staring at the children and the old hound dog through the glass. Two of them were bagged by a neighbour for us and one got away. Another neighbour had a similar experience with a 'coon hanging around her chicken coops, and her son shot it this evening. On our way home from town we saw no less than five raccoons, just hanging out by the roadside, not skittish at all.

One of the raccoons killed at our house this morning was small, had very crusty eyes and mouth and looked mangy. The others look reasonably like "normal" raccoons. Thankfully, the 'coons on our property did not venture near the birds, and I kept them locked up all day. But, I suspect there will be more tomorrow.

Has this mild weather brought everyone out early? We have lived here a few years and never experienced anything like this. The neighbour who did the shooting for us has lived here his whole life and said he has never seen so much evidence of raccoons in the bush as this year. Craziness.

Anyone else experiencing a huge number of raccoons coming around?

We've been seeing alot of coons and possums around as well and it has been an unseasonably warm winter here too. Perhaps the milder weather has meant more food supply allowing them to multiply more than normal.

It's awesome that you have such helpful neighbors!

Back
Top Bottom