Home Grown Eggs Taste Awful, Why?

Make sure they have fresh water as well.

I personally rinse my eggs off before putting them in the fridge. Yes eggs are porous, and yes they have a protective bloom, but I'd rather not have poo or other nest box misc. on them soaking into the porous shell. I've never gotten a rotten egg out of the fridge either.

I would make sure the feed they are getting doesn't contain any animal protein in it. Also, that any scraps they are getting doesn't contain any onion/garlic/strong flavorings. I have found many feed stores carry the Purina brand chicken feeds, and those seem to work good. The only other thing I can think of is perhaps an association of smell and taste. Maybe your senses are associating the egg with the smell of the coop and that influences how they taste to you. Give eating the eggs a break, and let someone else collect the eggs for a while. Then give them another try after some time has passed and you have not been to the coop to collect the eggs. Does your family also notice a strong icky taste to the eggs?

I wish you the best, and hope this situation clears up for you shortly!!
wink.png

It's not the feed or the snacks. Chickens are omnivores, so I don't like to buy feed that has no animal protein. Fish meal in a feed is great. Animal "by-products" are better than no animal component, IMHO.

I don't think you are tasting any of this. I think you are tasting the difference between what you have been familiar with for years, and what your hens are producing.

We had chickens when I was a child, and I ate the eggs and meat. I raised a few flocks at various times over the years. I am 66 years old, and have had chickens for maybe two years now. I have loved fried eggs overeasy all my life, but cannot eat them from my own chickens. I actually bought some grocery store eggs a few weeks ago just to enjoy an overeasy breakfast.

We butcher our extra roos (yes, I help.) Fortunately, I have an extended family here who eats them happily, as I can barely eat the hard boiled eggs, never mind the meat.

I know this is in my head. I scramble extra eggs and feed them to the chickens and dogs. Fortunately, they are wiser than I am.

Maybe if you leave them in the back of your fridge and pull them out the next time you clean, they'll taste just like store brand.
wink.png

I'm not an egg lover, but when I do eat the occasional egg, I do not detect a bad flavor in my home-grown eggs at all. In fact, they smell less egg-y than store-bought. And if I hard-boil them and put them in the fridge, I can open them 3 weeks later and STILL not smell that typical hard-boiled smell from store-bought eggs!!! They just always smell, well, fresh.

Quote:
Wait, so I can give the kids store-bought eggs for Christmas, right? I'm just making sure. I'll tell them it's all legal, because I had a lawyer.

Them- "Is this it? Eggs? We have eggs in the coop."

Me- "But these are made by ELVES, sweetie."

Them- "Uh, mom, eggs are made by chickens."

Me- "Shut up before I get my lawyer. Merry freakin' Christmas."

Hey, I just thought up my Christmas card for this year!
...... (scampers off to find a pen and paper)......

If you have fed fish and beef scraps
that could have put the bad taste.in your eggs and Ido wipe off my eggs with a damp paper towel .before
putting them in the frig. and have had no problems.
I fry them in a pan and
DH eats them like a man and so do I. LoL

I have to admit, the texture of a hard boiled egg vs store bought hard boiled egg was strange to me. A fresh hard boiled egg is soft and one from the store is rubbery.

It was just a different sensation when I ate it. I've never had "real" eggs before and my DH and I love them.

no complaints here! we love that the eggs have a FLAVOR !! A couple weeks ago, I actually ate scrambled store-eggs. They tasted mighty bland to me. I eat "our" eggs scrambled without any seasoning.

I watched a hen lay an egg yesterday - actually witnessed the egg coming out of her "butt". I think it's amazing. My kids haven't made the connection between butt, poop, & egg ... which is strange because like all kids, they are fascinated by bathroom-humor.

But it totally cracks me up that people will eat STORE eggs but not their OWN eggs. As PP said, I guess store eggs are made by elves ... debeaked elves crammed into cages ... but no butt involved?

--janis

I admit when we first got into having our own flock, I had a mental roadblock to overcome when it came to eating the eggs and the meat. I have raised many animals for food, but was fairly new to birds. It just seemed like the next natural step on our little farm.

My first few eggs I had to scramble with tons of veggies to choke them down. The first bird we butchered, while it tasted AWESOME, I had to eat without looking at it. My stomach turned looking at his little drumstick. Chickens are SOOO not like cows or pigs.

Now I'll eat them as soon as they're laid and have no problem looking at that tasty leg. Plus baking is so much better with those eggs!

The human mind is a funny thing, but you are by no means alone in your thinking.
cool.png

Quote:
Wait, so I can give the kids store-bought eggs for Christmas, right? I'm just making sure. I'll tell them it's all legal, because I had a lawyer.

Them- "Is this it? Eggs? We have eggs in the coop."

Me- "But these are made by ELVES, sweetie."

Them- "Uh, mom, eggs are made by chickens."

Me- "Shut up before I get my lawyer. Merry freakin' Christmas."

Hey, I just thought up my Christmas card for this year!
...... (scampers off to find a pen and paper)......

You just gave me a much-needed chuckle! Thanks!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom