home made waterer

Quote:
I am setting up just regular white pvc pipe. Will these work with pvc pipe and not leak?

You can see how ChrystalGail did hers here https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2636-chicken-nipples-anyone
I
have not had anyone complain about them. You drill the hole in the pvc the same size as the shank on the nipple and let the threads on the nipple cut there own threads into the pvc as you screw it in place

Quote:
so what are these peckers????looks like little rubber tips...do the chickens peck or suck at these to get the water???? can you have several of these peckers in the line??? how did you get the chickens to start using these??? we would sometimes like to go away for a few days and always worry about the person that comes by to change the water,,,looks like this would be ideal...what is the name of the feed store these were purchased???? does anyone know of an internet site where the peckers can be purchased???also these peckers look small where id you purchase the t's that would fit the peckers??? such a great idea and would love to try it if you could share a little more of the info i've requested....thanks also can this be used with little chicks as well as older poultry?????

I learned about nipples here on byc. Also found the place to buy them on line here on byc.

Farmtek is the place. Shipping is high, so be sure to order more than you think you need to compensate for the high shipping cost...

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...ering_systems-ft1_hoses_nipples;pgwc1030.html

My birds love them and the water stays clean and the coop stays dryer than with the standard waterer.

ON

I was looking for an alternative to the 3 and 5 gallon waters which are really expensive and this looks like it'll work out great. Is it very hard for the chickens to learn to drink off of them if they've always used a dish type waterer?

I'm curious about how the poly/stainless and the all-stainless drinkers compare to each other in regards to functionality and installation. One specific thing I'm curious about is whether the poly/ss drinkers threads will cut into pvc pipe as easily as the ss one's threads will. Do both drinker's threads seal equally as well? Any thoughts?

Kullus, is the black fitting on the end of the square tube a threaded piece to attach it to a round supply source?

Thanks,
Ed

ETA: One more question....do either, poly/ss or all-ss, handle freezing better than the other?????

Last edited:
Quote:
so what are these peckers????looks like little rubber tips...do the chickens peck or suck at these to get the water???? can you have several of these peckers in the line??? how did you get the chickens to start using these??? we would sometimes like to go away for a few days and always worry about the person that comes by to change the water,,,looks like this would be ideal...what is the name of the feed store these were purchased???? does anyone know of an internet site where the peckers can be purchased???also these peckers look small where id you purchase the t's that would fit the peckers??? such a great idea and would love to try it if you could share a little more of the info i've requested....thanks also can this be used with little chicks as well as older poultry?????

the peckers are red plastic with a metal piece coming down from it. As the chicken pecks it, the metal piece moves upward (you can do this with your finger in front of the chickens to help them get the idea) and water comes down. I placed three in one pen (for five hens) and two in the other (for three hens). The pieces of pvs that the peckers drop from came from the feed store (we go to Roundup in Bakersfield, CA). I guess you could rout out the holes in plain pvc if you're talented enough. :} We don't change the water, we just keep adding to it. I have had to pull a few leaves out of there after leaving lid off on accident, but no mold or algae (adding vinegar would probably deal with that anyway, and I'm told its good for the hens, just don't know how much acv to add.) This is an ideal way to have neighbors take care of watering chickens while you're gone. Don't know about you, but I only have one neighbor not afraid of our chickens. She's 13. And during the summer (it gets in the 100s around here) the hens actually lay under the peckers to keep cool. There is some but not much seepage. The girls love them. When I add new water, the sweeties come running.
D.gif

Quote:
I really dont know the difference between the 2 i have never had anything but SS. and there is no parts to wear put in the SS ones. These came out of a commercial chicken house so i know they will hold up

Back
Top Bottom