1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homeade Chinken Scalder/ "Buzzard Boiler"

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kristen_k, May 30, 2011.

1. kristen_k

kristen_k Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Mason City, Nebraska
    I think I owe my dad a few chickens [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    wowee!!![​IMG]

3. daleeper

daleeper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Looks good!

How well does it work?

Any construction and gas regulation component details that you are willing to pass along, I would be interested in.

If this is based on the whizbang scalder, where did you deviate from the plans, why, and how did it work out, if you don't mind adding some details.

A good scalder is our next step, but am having trouble finding a proper gas water heater.

Yes, if your dad built this unit, there would be a few fried chicken meals going his way. Excellent job.

4. kristen_k

Apr 28, 2011
    Mason City, Nebraska
    We haven't used it on chickens yet, but we did a test run and it holds its heat well and no leaks. My dad picked up a used natural gas heater and put a propane orphase on, thats all I really know (my dad is the brains behind this unit). I got the idea from this thread ( https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=172457 ) , it might help ya out a little more because I wasnt around when he was building it. When I talk to him I will get more info on how he did thing. Sorry i'm not much help. [​IMG]

5. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Nice! Yeah, I'd probably give dad some chicken for that!

6. Oghdoff

Oghdoff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    SE Texas
    You might want your dad to think about a patent! [​IMG]

7. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Want!

8. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I made one similiar to this. The only complaint I have about mine so far is the thermostat on the hot water heater I used has about a 8-10 degree lag before it kicks in. In other words, if I set it at 145 degrees, it slowly starts to cool off as I'm scalding, then it doesn't fire back up until it drops down to 137 degrees. I just keep an eye on the thermometer, and as it drops, I have to scald them a bit longer until it gets back to 148.

9. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

That look great to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. kristen_k

Apr 28, 2011
    Mason City, Nebraska
    Well I finally got to use my scalder. We( Fiancee, Dad, and I) butcherd 25 chickens today and the scalder worked just as planned. It took about 45 minutes to heat up and all went smoothly! Just got 18 left to do next week. Oh! and dad got 10 chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by