Homemade Chicken Feeder Pics wanted

Sahara

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Keystone Heights, FL
I am in search of pictures of homemade chicken feeders for a project I am working on. If you are willing to share your pictures and directions, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_2469.jpg

Very cheesy - but it was free! LOL

The bucket is screwed into that rubber bowl and has two corners on the bucket at the bottom cut off for the feed to flow out.
Lasts about a week when I fill it.

Not cheesy! I had a similar idea but I haven't found a suitable catch pan yet. I would like to suspend mine from the ceiling to prevent scratching and throwing. I made a feeder from PVC pipe but I am getting more chickens soon and I fear it won't be big enough when they are all grown. I bought some 2 gal. buckets with lids at a yard sale for 50 cents a piece and intend to make a couple of feeders like yours. Great idea!

deanforprom008-1.jpg

This seems to be a popular question I just posted same pic to a few with same question.. Just drill hole through bottom of planter base ($2.55 @ walmart) and 5 gallon bucket and bolt & nut together. cut opening near bottom of bucket on a few areas. use the handle to hang feeder holds 30-40 lbs feed. I got the bucket for a dollar at flea market from the food venders or ask your grocery store they will probley give it to you. Good luck

I made mine from a galvanized hog feed pan $2.50, 5 gallon bucket $2.99, all hardware $1.78 everything came from tractor supply. The hardware was for two feeders and I over did it as always. I drilled 1 inch holes around the base then bolted the bucket to the pan. My turkeys can eat from it just fine and because it is deeper so they can not fling the food out. Not to mention I saved at least $29.00 by building two feeders instead of buying them. I will try to post some pics when I get a chance.

Pop rivets also work really well to connect the pan to the 'bucket' part of the feeder. Strength is not much of an issue, since the only weight that's in the pan part is whatever little bit of food is actually out there in the trough to be eaten - the bucket itself supports the weight of the main reservoir of food.

I mention this in case someone else out there, like me, finds it easier to locate the pop-rivet tool and the box o' rivets than to find nuts that match whatever small bolts you can scrounge up
tongue.png

Pat

Quote:
I just wanted to thank you for posting this pic--I made my chicken feeder using your model, having most of the materials at hand (I went with the green plant base rather than terra cotta, though).

Thanks again!

LuckyStella

Back
Top Bottom