Homemade Cooler/Fridge-a-Bator Hatcher Instructions/Diagram

I am manually turning the eggs in the Fridge-a-Bator this time, but I have a tray I could use and tilt. My DH didn't like that because it was sort of awkward, so I said, okay, I'll hand turn them this time. He previously made a turner with the bottom of a milk crate and an egg flat, with PVC pipe as a handle that turned from outside the bator, but he doesn't use that bator anymore-he scavenged the parts to build the Fridge a Bator. This was the turner:
DCP_6471.jpg

Last edited:
Having no experience with incubating and hatching and because the process intrigues me so, I have to ask (if you'll please forgive my ignorance here) what purpose does the nightlight serve?

When the lightbulb goes out in cycling on and off to regulate the temps, the nightlight allows me to still be able to see inside the bator and the chicks that have hatched to not be thrown into total darkness. The nightlight is more for hatch time than incubation time.

Quote:
The light is the heater.

For a cooler this size, probalby between 25 and 40W will be enough

OH! See, I didn't even realize the light (for heat) cycled on and off for heat regulation. Told you I had no experience! LOL What a great idea the nightlight is. Thanks for sharing the info!

Quote:
OIC ... er, sorry for misleading
smile.png

I hadn't realised there were two lights in there, my bad
smile.png

SO why 2 lights? Do the eggs need to see where they are going while being rolled madly around by chicks?

Ok Twigg ..... into the corner with you, that was BAD, BAD, BAD

--> twigg, slinking off in disgrace, to have coffee and quiet time

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
I want a debate about the use of lightbulbs, actually
smile.png

I'm all for seeing what is going on, so the nightlight is a sound idea, but I don't like relying on a bulb for heat, esp. as they aren't very good at it. Boy are they cheap tho
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom