Homemade Cooler/Fridge-a-Bator Hatcher Instructions/Diagram

That's cool. I am just posting to keep a copy of this one.

Thanks!
wink.png

Water heater thermos have a wide range and I cant regulate the one I have tight enough. I have one and it goes between 94 and 103 or more. Just cannot get it tighter. The wafer is much easier to regulate. Fish tank heaters are made to heat water, not air, so I'm not sure they'd do well in a bator, although I did think about one for about 2 seconds.

Last edited:
My thought was it is a small resistance heater, that actually heats the glass that it is contained in which in turns heats the water, the heater itself never comes in contact with the water, I know it will heat to 100+, fried fish when thermostat went bad, but not sure if themostat is designed to regulate that high, I know at 75 to 80 degrees it will hold tank to within 1 degree or so. Now I will have to dig in the attic and see what happens if taken out of glass and plugged in. I know instructions say to always have submerged, but... Off to the Laboratory I go. Where would we be if no one took a chance on something new.

Edited to ask: Fan and Night light are on 24/7 yes??

and to add: microwave ovens have fan about the same size as computer and would illimanate the need for a 12v converter.

Last edited:
you can get a thermostat with wafer from meyer hatchery for like $20 and an 250 element is $5. I'm gonna build me one, the college is always throwin out those mini refridges thanks
oh has anyone thought about those reptile heaters that look like rocks, and radio shack has those fans cheap

Last edited:
The switch at the feedstore was $16.95 and I already had a wafer, so that worked out fine. The little dorm fridges work well because they are super-insulated and they are so easy to clean.

Quote:
Sorry I'm new to Homemade Incubator information, But what is a "heating rope"?
hmm.png
I've been researching homemade frig incubator info & found that some use "Flexwatt Heat Tape" to heat frig incubators, with a Reptile thermostat for temp control. The thermometer is for controling heat rocks for reptiles too, it works from temps 70 to 110 degrees. I guess it even has a cover to keep the setting from getting 'bumped' after you have it set to where you need it. Haven't bought any items to put this info to work yet, but the flexwatt heat tape is similar to waterpipe heat tape.... I guess it's flexible, & won't melt plastic. I've found that people just electrical tape it on the the back of a mini frig's insides... the original mini frig plastic insides. Is that a 'safe' way to heat? Anyone ever heard of this incubator creation?

So glad I found this thread. I'm starting another bator project this weekend, a friend gave me the cooler. Last one was styro.

QUESTION - What did you use to cut into the heavy plastic? Jig saw....or razor knife?

I'm thinking that I'm going to mount the fan to the plexi glass pane, on the lid, and for extra viewing, put a double pane on the lower front. This one will have a wafer.

Thanks, for everyone's help!!

Thanks, all, for the great ideas. I put 6 silkie eggs in my Chic 'bator 2 days ago but I just cannot stop the wild swings in temperature. It's not quite as bad inside the water weasel but still 97-102...only for a few minutes but I'm afraid that will add up over time. I've done everything suggested so far and it still has waaaay too wild swings.

I'm going to make another one tonight and use a light bulb on a dimmer switch. I like the idea that it stays on all the time and prevents swings in temperature. Once I get it at a stabilized temperature I'll switch the eggs over.

Any other suggestions or comments? This is my first time incubating eggs!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom