Homemade feeder and waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by campcabo, Dec 18, 2012.

1. campcabo

campcabo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    Ohio
    I looked at many waterer solutions at TSC and online. Some of them were rather expensive so I resorted to finding a cheap way to make my own. I wanted a large waterer for when I was out of town so as to not inconvenience the person watching my chickens. I have posted an article on my blog on how to make your own feeder and waterer. I have included pictures and links to get products. Thanks for checking it out.

2. mcoleman12

mcoleman12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    I would love to see but you forgot the link...

3. campcabo

Dec 13, 2012
    Ohio
  4. ChickenWaterer

ChickenWaterer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2012
    Palo Alto, CA
    It's great that you made your own waterer but I would recommend a small change. The buckets you get at the hardware store are not made from food-grade plastic. It would be better to switch to a bucket that is made of a safer material. Go to a local restaurant and ask if they will give you a left over plastic pail. Restaurants buy all sorts of food ingredients in large quantities and these are shipped to them in food-grade plastic pails. When the food is gone, they throw away the buckets so they will probably be happy to give you a pail at no charge. If not, you can buy one from USPlastics.

5. campcabo

Dec 13, 2012
    Ohio
    That is a great idea. I do use recycled food grade pails for my food but I guess it escaped my mind on the water. I was so into getting them up I did not think about it. Thanks

6. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I buy my buckets from the local Chinese restraunts. They buy them full of soy sauce, empty them out and then sell them for $1 - $2 each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by