homemade feeders by RendonRoo

cjexotic, sorry they didn't work for the pheasants. I hang my feeders high enough they almost have to stand on their tip toes to reach in. I have also found that if they get stuck you can just wack it a good one and it will start flowing again.

Quote:
bummer cj! take the parts that you didn't cut or drill on wsh them off and return them. I had to return a lot that way while I was figuring out what works, went without a hitch.
Pheasants are a pain!

First gsim: that is a great idea also. I had the trough with pvc 3" cut in half.. but hey would stand in it and scratch it out and roost on it. Could not think how to fix that problem so went with this. I have about 100 or so silkies.. divided in pens. So one pen has about 20-25 silkies and they are all doing great with the feeder. Only one feeder per pen and a grit or oyster shell feeder also. My largest pen I may put in an extra feeder but only because I want to not because they really need it. They seem to like it also. I just have to get a chain or even a small nylon rope to get the crumbles to flow freely.

Yes the pheasant are a pain. My OH is not a patient person and that is half the problem. He never looked to see the feeder was empty and started loading it with out the cap on the other end or his hand or a bag so it shot out all over the yard.
Now he does not pay for the feed.. and did not realize this was happening until he had about 5-8lbs of corn on the ground and not just at one feeder but at about 5 of them. Sometimes I wonder.. So its the feeders fault. So to say myself from grief I am taking them out.. I can either return the fittings or keep for my baby pens.

just bummed that you try to do something nice and it backfires.

I understand sounds like trying situation all around. Also sounds like you are being a GREAT person and taking care of what needs taking care of. Hats off to you for the juggling act you must go through everyday.

Thank you.. yes for sure. Some days I just want to throw in the towel like today and most likely the weekend. But the animals come first and their care. I was taught that at an early age. My OH does not understand that most of the time. He is bipolar/manic depressant without the terminal and all the other problems he has. So it is very trying. Some days I don't even want to go home. and on top of it all he is super super jealous. So I just can not win. My silkies are my sanity.
Thanks again you made my day. All have a great weekend and will be back on monday. cj

I went with the fittings I did because I didn't want the feed to clog in the bottom, nor come poring out when I tried to fill them. So far it has worked.

The flat layer of sand in the bottom gives the feed a solid base to pile on as I pour it in. The 45 degree angle also means it can't flow out.

The other thing is that I don't have any reducing fittings. The whole thing is 5" pipe, 5' tall. Holds a fair amount of feed, but not as much as some others. I figure this way I'm not going to end up with 50lbs of waste on the ground If I have a problem.

IMG_2950.jpg

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with yours CJ.

I use the PVC feeders too, but do mine a little different. The way I do it may help others who see their PVC feeders get stuck or choked up neat the bottom and the feed does not come out.

First I use 4 inch sewer grade as it is cheaper. On the bottom of the pipe, I put a small 90 degree bend. (use the small bend as they make too a small and a large). On the end of the bend, I put another small say about a 8 inch long 4 inch pipe then the cap on it. Now take a jig saw or something and cut an oval out of the top of the pipe about 5 inches in lenght.

After that is done, I use a screw to secure all the parts together to keep them from coming apart. Now fill the top with feed and let the chickens go at it. Make sure you put a cap over the feed to keep the water out. You will not have a problem with it choking at the bottom. The point of the oval, is to allow the chickens to stick their heads in and eat. If it does get clogged, the chickens will fix it as they want to eat. They will stick their head inside the pipe towards the back and start eating and when they do, it will break the clog. You will not have to worry about it.

Hope you understand what I am trying to say.

We made PVC feeders too. A big one out of 4" sewer pipe for feed, and smaller ones for oyster shell and grit. They work great.

Taz, I think ours must be kind of like yours, aren't they? You're right, the hens unclog them on their own. Here's some pics. You have to look close to see the smaller white one for oyster shells between the green feed and the next boxes.

38187_p9290021.jpg

38187_p9290022.jpg

38187_p9290019.jpg

I'm sure it would if we left it up, but we will take it down and shut the water line off before the freezing temps set in. I'm lucky enough to have one of those no-freeze faucets right outside the hen house door, and electricity in the coop too, so I switch to a heated fountain. I sure do love my little automatic waterer though!

Back
Top Bottom