homemade feeders by RendonRoo

No they really don't, they stay clean all the time, BUT this is just the indoor feeder, the girls have a big hanging feeder outside in a pretty large run, and they free range in the late afternoons, so they don't really spend much time inside. You can see some more pictures on my page if you want. I like having the inside feeder for mornings before I let them out and rainy days, and they take up no floor space.

I like all the different ideas everyone has for their own set up! I have learned so much on this site.

Quote:
Yep. that is what mine looks like. I did not have any pictures but thanks. I did do something a little different to the last ones I just made. The end caps (plastic caps), I walked over to all the s
SCH 40 stuff and found a plastic 4 inch cap for .88 versus the 3.something for the PVC cap. I then glued this cap in place at the bottom of the tube and it worked perfect. I used the same cap for the top of the feeder. I have not had an issue, but I think a rat could lift off the cap from the top of the feeder and fall down into the tub and eat the food. But for .88 it saves some money for the bottom cap since it is glued on.

Klorinth i think I can get one of those ends for what I have done already and fix that problem. You know I have installed 7 of them in my silkie coop and only have one of them that seems to want to hang up. But I will get one of those fittings and see if that works.

Now someone said they glued the cap on .. what type of glue did you use. I need to glue my fittings on. I took a tool and tapped on the feeder to get it to come down on the one feeder and walla it came off and I had a pile of feed on the ground.
I really liked not having a bucket or cinder block under it but I either need to clue it or put a screw in it. lol..

cj

ok, I got the bound up crumbles in the neck problem fixed.
see pic. I took the reducer off and the 45 and 90 degree fitting off and replaced with the y. I did not have sand (forgot it). So I cut a 4" piece of 3" pipe. My local hardware store gave me some screen for free from doing replacement screens. So I put that over the fitting hole and inserted the 4" length of 3" pipe into the y fitting. By doing this I brought the level up to just below the y. One if I have not done that the feed would be too low in the fitting for them to every get it if the feeder should ever go empty (never should happen but just in case). It also served another purpose. The hardware store knew what I was doing and told me to be careful about sun hitting it in the summer as the pvc could sweat. So by doing this there is ventilation and the screen will let moisture out if the feed did get wet (should never but agian just in case). the 4" piece of pipe serves as a height base also and no worry on coming apart or having to have a cinder block or bucket under it. The feeding area is also wider so I had at one point 4 hens eating at the same time so that is a good thing.

7235_pvcfeeder21.jpg
7235_pvcfeeder22.jpg
7235_pvcfeeder2.jpg

Now I left my grit and oyster shell feeders with the 90 and 45 degree fittings and did not change them.. they work just fine. I had a couple come apart because I did not put something under them for support and that matter is much heavier than crumbles is.

The feeders are 2 ft high and 3" and holds about 2- 1 gallon buckets of feed give or take. That is fine for me.

I am also going to use the ones that my OH did not like for his pheasants which is 1' by 1 1/2" pipe for the baby pens.. which should work well for them.

cj

I wanted black but they did not have it. Next spring I will paint them a pretty color. lol
Guess the girl and guys don't care what color they are.

The y's absolutely are the charm.

Happy shopping. .. cj

RendonRoo, I made this feeder and it doesn't work. It binds up every second. I don't know why though. I tried switching it up with different angle elbows. But that didn't work either. What am I doing wrong? I will try to get a picture of it tommorrow.

Back
Top Bottom