Homemade hay! Do you?

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
So I like to make homemade grass hay, it's real easy. Does anyone else make any?
This is from the little front yard, it covers the front porch all over, 4-6in deep. Mostly regular grass, some random weeds mixed in, too.
All you have to do is mow down some tall grass, leave it in the yard [if you will have nothing but sun the next few days. If you are expecting rain, rake it all up and put it in a dry place where there's plenty of air exchange.]
Anyway, flip it in the yard a day or two later. If it's under shelter, flip it a few times a day. Spread out any and all clumps, just really fluff it up. You can move it onto the driveway instead of the lawn, sometimes it dries a tad faster on there.
Once you can smell hay, your nearly done. I'd wait another day and make sure it's thoroughly dry all over. Box it up inb a dry place and use it for guinea pigs, rabbits, chickens, etc.
smile.png

225991_211607688872747_100000705527207_671182_2441899_n.jpg

225991_211607692206080_100000705527207_671183_4341405_n.jpg

Yes, I use to make it years ago when I had my push mower. I would let the grass get kinda tall and cut and rake and let dry. Now that I have a different type mower, I don't get the same consistency with the grass clippings. I wish I had my old push mower.
hmm.png

Quote:
Yea, that's fine. I use the dry stuff for nests and bedding. Rabbits and guinea pigs eat the dry stuff, though some rabbits are too picky and just sleep or poo in it...

My chickens only seem to like Clovers and Dandelion leaves, anything else they scoff at. They are such spoiled little stinkers...

Mowed backyard grass from yesterday is dried nearly all the way. Started raking it up into piles. Three times the amount of hay than the front yard. So much of it, not sure where I'll store it, lol.

When I had ducks some years ago I use to rake the clippings into their run, they had a hay day with it. I never used it to bed them down in though, I figured they'd try to eat it and get thirsty over night since they weren't allowed water in the coop. I might try it with the chickens though.

Back
Top Bottom